- BROKEN TIMING BELT ... OR WORSE?

2002 Chevrolet Malibu

jschade

April, 18, 2007 AT 2:50 PM

2002 malibu LS, 3.1 V-6, 62,000 miles
I was on a return trip from a conference, highway travel, engine started making 'clicking' noises (sounded like valves and/or lifters). Shortly thereafter it stalled out on low rpms. I was in live traffic with no shoulder. Had to restart and drive, which it did, but would not idle. No indicator lights on and engine temperature was at normal.
Travelling to nearest exit clicking got louder, then 'bang'. I made out the sight of a few pieces rolling off the highway behind me. And the engine died.
Pulled onto shoulder and unable to turn engine over. Checked around front end of car. No leaks or obvious holes etc.

Is it likely the timing chain snapped. Or worse. Engine seized.?

What am I looking at for repair or replacement costs. Funds are pretty limited right now?

Any help and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Service Writer

April, 18, 2007 AT 3:26 PM

I'm going out on a limb.

My guess is that you should look at the bottom of the motor and see if there is a hole in the oil pan where those parts you seen came out of. My guess this started out as an intake manifold gasket leak, that caused coolant to get into the oil, (check oil condition if there is any), then the lower end of the engine went bad, (main bearings).

Just a guess over the net however.

Did you get any of the parts that came out?
Post pics if you did.

jschade

April, 18, 2007 AT 3:41 PM

Not what I was hoping to hear. But thanks very much for the reply.
At last check the oil was not milky or discolored, nor did I see any drips or wetness on the bottom of the engine after it died.
I was on the side of the highway with long grasses and marshes on the side. I tried looking but did not find any parts at the time, it was also near dark when it happened.
The car is still there. At the road side a day later, haven't been able to get it towed yet. Once I have the car back I'll do a more thorough look over.

Thanks again

Service Writer

April, 18, 2007 AT 3:59 PM

Like I said it was a guess.

Not turning over makes me think electrical.

No fluid leakage is a good sign to dispell my thoery.

Air Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata
Engine Oil Change and Filter
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Bronco