CHEVY NO POWER STEERING

2001 Chevrolet Malibu

erinp

Steering problem
2001 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 135k miles

Last week I drove my car to a friend's and I parked the malibu out side for 3 hours in 6* cold weather. Everything was fine when I drove there, but when I pulled out of the driveway, the was no power steering. There were no signs of anything happening, no leaks, no squeaking, no warning lights, etc. Is there a belt that runs the power steering pump? It has to be seperate from the serpentine belt since everything else is working fine. I checked the resevoir and it was more than half full, but I did add a little more to it. What could make it just stop working?

rhall77

They all run on the same belt. Check the belt and see if there is tension. Also you can remove the belt and see if the pump shaft is broken or not.

lsauto

Sounds like u have a bad pump or the outside temp has jelled up the fluid idling the car tell it gets too normal temp and see if the power stering comes back if mot u have a bad pump hopes this helps lsauto

Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer