CHEVY HEAD GASKET

2000 Chevrolet Malibu

rlgentry

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 94000 miles

The car leaks antifreeze and now it wont start. It has low compression 60-90. There was anti freeze on the spark plug. The mechanic said the head gasket is blown and wants to replace with used engine for 2200. Should I replace engine or have head gasket replaced.

rhall77

May ask why he wants to replace the engine. You should be able just to replace the head gaskets

lsauto

It will depend on if the water and the oil has mixed on the engine if it hasent than a head gasket cange and haveing the heads checked and shaved will work if the oil and water has mixed than I would also replace the engine these car have alot of problems with heads and intake manfold leaking water when water and oil mix if removes the protective mickel off the main and rod bearings and a head job will only buy u a little time befor the engine starts too knock or locks up all togather hope this helps lsauto

Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500