Problems with brake calipers Lumina ltz

NICKN
  • CHEVROLET LUMINA
I am having a hard time tryin to figure out how to get off the rear drivers side brake caliper, for a 1998 chevy lumina ltz 3.8 liter all disc brakes can someone tell me how to get it off? The caliper has a pivot action, so when u need to change the brake pads all u have to do is take one bolt off and pivot the caliper up, and replace the pads, how do I get the pivot part to be able to come out easily so I can replace caliper?
Monday, June 11th, 2007 AT 4:46 PM

SERVICE WRITER
If I was doing this job on this particular body style, I would replace the calipers, pads and rotors.

Does this drawing help?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_lumbrk_1.jpg

+1
Monday, June 11th, 2007 AT 7:05 PM
NICKN
Yes it does help alot thank you! But how do I get number 21 the PIN BOLT out? And I already bought the rotor and brake pads as well as the caliper, just having a hard time trying to figure out how to get that pin bolt out.
Monday, June 11th, 2007 AT 7:15 PM
SERVICE WRITER
The caliper slides off of #22, the pin sleeve, the pind doesn't come out. It is a pivot point. Depending on the caliper you bought, it may be more evident by looking at it.
Monday, June 11th, 2007 AT 7:43 PM
NICKN
Ok thank you very much!
Monday, June 11th, 2007 AT 8:09 PM
SERVICE WRITER
My pleasure. A thank-you beats "points" anytime :wink: :D
Monday, June 11th, 2007 AT 8:42 PM
NICKN
I dont have ne points to give anyway lol. Im new just signed up today. Love the quick responses, I know if and when I have more problems with my lumina im coming here to ask. Thank you again, and keep up the dang good work! :D
Monday, June 11th, 2007 AT 9:14 PM
NICKN
Thank you so much for the info! It made the changing time of the caliper so much easier and faster! Great job!

I have another question.
My service engine soon light is on, and I had gave it an oil change. It went off for about a week and is back on now. I have gave it a full tuneup myself, and it went away for a week, and came back again. I know I need a whole system coolant flush, and transmission flush, is that why it keeps coming back on?
Tuesday, June 12th, 2007 AT 3:01 PM
SERVICE WRITER
No it has to do with an emission problem. Start by getting the codes pulled from the computer
Tuesday, June 12th, 2007 AT 3:38 PM
NICKN
Ok I will have to go to autozone and get that checked out soon. Thanks again!
Tuesday, June 12th, 2007 AT 3:42 PM