CHEVY NOISES WHEN I BRAKE

1999 Chevrolet Lumina

jbrasfield

November, 21, 2009 AT 9:32 AM

Brakes problem
1999 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 136000 miles

When braking I hear a clicking noise in the engine compartment that sounds like a relay. At the time of the clicks the dash panel lights dim like there is a short in the system. On occasion the engine has stalled with my daughter. I have tried but cannot get it to stall. I do here the clicking.

mhpautos

November, 21, 2009 AT 9:17 PM

Hi there, thank you for the donation,

The first thing I would do is fins a quiet stretch of road, remove the brake light switch or unplug the brake light and see if this stops the click, this will isolate the electrical, also check that the booster is sound and not leaking, as if it is the resultant vacuum leak under braking may be the cause of the stall condition, start here.

jbrasfield

November, 21, 2009 AT 10:30 PM

I have already disconnected the ABS connectors on the master cylinder. With them disconnected I get no noises so I suspect either the ABS unit on the cylinder or maybe a bad sensor on a wheel. Thanks for the info, didn't think about just disconnecting the brake light switch to isolate the electrical. Guess I need to get a book and read up on ABS

mhpautos

November, 22, 2009 AT 2:11 AM

The brake light switch side of things is just an idea to prove that there is no electrical back feed into another system through the switch operation, get a scan done to see if there is an internal sensor problem as well.

Mark.

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front