CHEVY "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" LIGHT CAM

1997 Chevrolet Lumina

zodiacdude

November, 8, 2009 AT 12:33 AM

1997 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 147800 miles

I took my car into Valvoline recently because my " service engine soon" light came on (and its still on). They hooked up their little car computer thing, and what they told me was that it had something to do with gas vapors. They said there might be a pin hole leak from the gas cap. I talked to someone else who said that if my gas cap isnt on tight enough, even the smallest bit of gas vapor can escape and cause this. She also said that after making sure the gas cap is on securely, that the computer sys will reset itself in about 2 weeks. Is this true? And will this affect the car in terms of passing inspection?

mathiaso

November, 8, 2009 AT 4:22 AM

If the fault is not detected for another 40 drive cycles, the computer will erase it naturally.

A drive cycle requires starting a cold engine and running it until it reaches normal operating temperature. The next drive cycle does not begin until the engine has been shut off, allowed to cool back down and is restarted again.
If you drive 40 times as stated above in 2 weeks, the answer is yes, only if the problem is fixed.
If you drive less than 40 times as stated above in 2 weeks, the answer is no, even if the problem is fixed.
The best way is to erase the code with a scan tool, for example at Autopart store (it is free)
or disconecting the battery.
I personally prefere the first option because, you won't lose your radio setting, clock and more.

For your second question,
the answer is yes. You won't pass the inspection with an evaporation system leak that is not repair.
I don't know what the code is, if you can remember the code and after resetting the engine light, it comes back again, get back with the code, we 'll help.