CHEVY EVAPORATE SYSTEM MONITOR RESET

1997 Chevrolet Lumina

dyuhelp

February, 20, 2009 AT 11:32 AM

Computer problem
1997 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 210000 miles

I have a 97 Chevy Lumina and I had some trouble
codes show up and replace the appropriate parts.
Now I am waiting for the computer to reset itself
to show ready for the systems it checks. What does
it take to get the computer to completely reset
itself? I have check the system with a scanner about
every other day and it still hasn't completely reset yet. I am still waiting for the evaporation system and EGR to reset. I need to get the car to pass the emission check so I can get the license renewed.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 20, 2009 AT 5:33 PM

Hi: Either disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes or I believe you can reset it with the scanner.

dyuhelp

February, 21, 2009 AT 10:45 AM

As I said in my original, I have scanner and it will clear the codes. What I need to know is after the codes
are cleared how many miles, how many starts, or whatever does it takes before the system will show ready. I cleared the codes last week and now all the system show ready except the EGR and EVAP systems. I need to know what does it takes to get them to show ready when I check them with my scanner. I can't pass the emission test until they
are in the ready mode.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 21, 2009 AT 1:13 PM

Normally between 100 and 150 miles should do it. It's all based on cycles, but normally that many miles should do it.

dyuhelp

February, 23, 2009 AT 10:02 AM

The Lumina has been driven at least 300 miles and the EVAP and EGR system are still not ready. Do you have any idea how many cycles it takes? I assume a
cycle is a engine start and then turned off. Would a
inoperative gas gage keep the EVAP system from being Ready. I think it the sending unit in the tank
that broke.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 23, 2009 AT 3:23 PM

A bad fuel cap will keep the evap light going. If the sending unit is bad and leaking, it could do the same. Finally, a cycle is based on many things, not just start-up. It is determined on driving conditions, speed, eng temp. Regardless, 300 miles should have done it.

Evap System Components