WHAT IS AN EMISSION SERVICE?

Chevrolet Impala

brandie

Have a 94 Honda Civic with 140,000 km and my dealer wants to give it an emission service to the tune of $159.95. Is this important to have done? I have always followed the maintenance schedule, and have not had any major problems. Should I let him do this.

Thanks for help.

jeremiah

Clean your fuel tank, fuel injectors and engine/throttle body. Make sure ALL of it is done and done correctly.

brandie

Thanks, is this a necessary thing to do? Is the cost warranted the gain? I had never heard of this before now.

Appreciate the info.

palco

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure : shock:

jeremiah

January, 9, 2006 AT 12:16 AM

Considering your mileage and that you have never done it before, you will absolutely notice the difference and should be worth every penny, again, if done correctly. There are shops that just do 1 of the 3 procedures and do it only halfway; pour the injection cleaning solution into the gas tank call it a day. So be very careful. Even if it is a dealership.

brandie

I checked with the dealer that suggested this and the service includes flushing the fuel injector and checking the fuel filter. This is not the three things you mentioned jeremiah. I think I wil check around, but if the dealer only does these 2 things I wonder who does the whole ball of wax.
What will I notice after having this done? Better mileage?

Thanks for all the help! ?

jeremiah

Aah! Unfortunately this is a kind of service that a dealer can pick and choose which they want to do. Some dealerships don't offer it at all and the only way to get it done is to ask for the service 1 by 1, from which they can individualy charge, raising the cost.

For that price, it's not worth it. Fuel injector flush is easy and the solution only costs $20-$40. Fuel filter check? Yeah, the'll look at it o'right, but that's about it, nothing more. Probably hit you with 1 hour labor to replace it plus the cost of the part.

A local shop might charge you a lot cheaper for the injector flush alone, $60-80 maybe. See if they can clean the throttle body for free; it's easy.

The service is usually done for vehicles that have failed emission inspections. You should notice a difference in power and mileage.

Oxygen Sensor Replacement Honda Civic 1996-20
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Dodge Stratus
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen