Transmission fluid

RENALDO & TONYA
  • 1997 CHEVROLET IMPALA
While changing the motor oil, we accidentally let out the transmission fluid. Since doing this (yesterday) we've found out that the transmission is a sealed unit with fluid that does not break down, so it requires no service.
There is no place to check the fliud level. I read somthing about an overfill hose(hole), but we don't know where it is or how to go about filling it that way. If some one knows where that part may be, we would really appreciate it.
Monday, January 2nd, 2006 AT 11:26 AM

JIMMYC
I have a 99 Rodeo and am betting it is the same setup. There is no dipstick for checking the ATF and therefore no way to add through a dipstick hose as with other autos. But there is a hole to add ATF on the side of the transmission, it should be just above the screw you took out when you accidentally drained it. The easiest way to get the ATF back in there is to get a hose that will fit on the end of the ATF fluid jug. Then squeeze the fluid up and through the hose into the fill hole on the side. Do that until the ATF starts running out the hole, then you are done.

It's a poor design though. No way to easily check or add fluid.

Good luck!
Wednesday, January 4th, 2006 AT 11:22 AM
JIMMYC
Btw, the fluid does break down and requires service. You also have to change the ATF filter inside the pan too. That is a real pain.
Wednesday, January 4th, 2006 AT 2:20 PM
TOMHERNON
What kind of fluid do you use?
Monday, February 20th, 2006 AT 1:53 PM
SOLLYBRO
It is standard ATF, though synthetic ATF is what I would use when refilling.

Be careful and make sure the fluid in the pan is heated to 90-110 degrees Fahrenheit when filling fluid through the filler hole until it starts to dribble out.

Good luck.

Ciao!
Friday, March 10th, 2006 AT 12:01 AM

Sponsored links