2006 Chevy Impala thermostat

MHTS1
  • 2006 CHEVROLET IMPALA
How do you change the thermostat, estimated time for

follow up question:
how do I drain the radiator fluid? Thanks
Saturday, January 16th, 2010 AT 11:59 AM

MERLIN2021
THERMOSTAT REPLACEMENT (RPOS LZE/LZ4/LZ9) Removal Procedure Fig. 72: Identifying Radiator Outlet Hose Clamp & Thermostat Housing Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 1. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System (LS4 Static Fill) or Draining and Filling Cooling System (LZE, LZ4, LZ9 Static Fill) or Draining and Filling Cooling System (9C1, 9C3 Static Fill) or Draining and Filling Cooling System (LS4 GE 47716 Fill) or Draining and Filling Cooling System (LZE, LZ4, LZ9, 9C1, 9C3 GE 4771 Fill) . 2. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement or Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement . 3. Reposition the radiator outlet hose clamp at the thermostat housing. 4. Remove the radiator outlet hose from the thermostat housing (3.5L shown, 3.9L similar). Fig. 73: Identifying Thermostat Housing Bolt/Stud Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 5. Remove the thermostat housing bolt/stud. 6. Remove the thermostat housing and gasket. 7. Remove the thermostat. 8. Clean the gasket surfaces. Installation Procedure Fig. 74: Identifying Thermostat Housing Bolt/Stud Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 1. Install a NEW thermostat. 2. Position a NEW gasket and the thermostat housing to the engine block. 3. Install the thermostat housing bolt/stud. Tighten: Tighten the bolt/stud to 25 N.m (18 lb ft). Fig. 75: Identifying Radiator Outlet Hose Clamp & Thermostat Housing Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 4. Install the radiator outlet hose to the thermostat housing (3.5L shown, 3.9L similar). 5. Position the radiator outlet hose clamp at the thermostat housing. 6. Install the air cleaner outlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement or Air NOTE: Refer to FASTENER NOTICE .Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement . 7. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System (LS4 Static Fill) or Draining and Filling Cooling System (LZE, LZ4, LZ9 Static Fill) or Draining and Filling Cooling System (9C1, 9C3 Static Fill) or Draining and Filling Cooling System (LS4 GE 47716 Fill) or Draining and Filling Cooling System (LZE, LZ4, LZ9, 9C1, 9C3 GE 4771 Fill) . 8. Inspect the system for leaks.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Tstat_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Tstat2_1.jpg

Shouldnt take much more than 1 hour.
+3
Saturday, January 16th, 2010 AT 12:13 PM
MERLIN2021
When you "edit" your post I dont see it as a reply, so Mike has to PM me to get my attention, to bypass the middleman, click on the reply to question link under my answer! Locate your radiator, on the bottom of it will be a draincock, loosen it and antifreeze will drain, this may require you to remove the plastic dirt shiel underneat to access the drain! Or just remove the hose and replace the lose antifreeze!
Tuesday, January 19th, 2010 AT 5:39 PM