Key fob not working

TVWILLI
  • 2006 CHEVROLET IMPALA
My remote key quit working. I had the remote retested at dealer and it is OK. They suggested to relearn remote. I followed instructions in manual and got to press to relearn remote key on DIC. If I press the set/ reset button The message "remote key learning active" does not display. It returns to "press to relearn remote key" Have also tried pressing and holding set/reset button with same result
Friday, October 30th, 2009 AT 12:39 PM

It sounds like the door lock receiver has gone out here is the instructions to replace it and diagrams below to help as well.

REMOTE CONTROL DOOR LOCK RECEIVER PROGRAMMING AND SETUP

Each of the following service procedures requires programming or setup procedures to be performed on the theft deterrent control module.

Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Replacement
If the remote control door lock receiver is replaced, the following procedures must be performed:
1. Keyless Entry Transmitter Programming - Method 1-Refer to Transmitter Programming.
2. Set up a new remote control door lock receiver.
3. Theft Deterrent 10 Minute Relearn Procedure or Theft Deterrent 30 Minute Relearn Procedure.
4. Tire Pressure Sensor Learn-Refer to Tire Pressure Sensor Learn.
5. Steering Column Lock Control Module Setup.

Replacing Keyless Entry Transmitters
If a keyless entry transmitter is replaced, the following procedure must be performed:

Keyless Entry Transmitter Programming-Refer to Transmitter Programming.

TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING

IMPORTANT: All transmitters that are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode, all previously programmed transmitters will be erased upon receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter.

Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle. The order in which the transmitters are programmed is important. The first transmitter programmed will be transmitter #1, and the second transmitter programmed will be transmitter #2. Use care to program the transmitters correctly.

The scan tool must stay connected until all of the transmitters are programmed. All doors must be closed to perform this function.
1. Install CANDI module.
2. Install a scan tool.
3. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.
4. With the scan tool, select Body and Accessories.
5. Select Keyless Entry.
6. Select the proper engine size.
7. Select Special Functions.
8. Select body control module (BCM).
9. Select Program Key Fobs.
10. Follow scan tool on screen instructions.
11. If you are programming more than one transmitter, repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
12. Remove the scan tool.
13. Exit the vehicle. Attempt to lock/unlock the doors to verify the programming.
14. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers
Sunday, November 1st, 2009 AT 8:31 PM
210EGHATCH
Thank you for this post fixed my car cost me $145.00 for the part. I love this site.
Saturday, November 17th, 2018 AT 11:00 AM
CBLUUMSS
  • 2006 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Just recently had a Viper remote start installed and it works but doesnt work all the time. It wont work if the car hasnt been running for a while. Not sure on how long but it has never worked the next morning. When I put the key in, turn it to the on position, take it out, then it works. Im thinking its something with the Imapla's computer. I have no idea and the installers at Best Buy havent been able to fix it after two attempts. Anybody have a suggestion?
Saturday, November 17th, 2018 AT 11:02 AM (Merged)
Hi:
Because this is an aftermarket part, I'm not sure what to tell you. It sounds like something was installed incorrectly or the item is no good. I would have them replace it with a new one and see if that makes a difference. Do it quick, though, I don't believe Best Buy has the greatest warranty policy.
CORKY5604
  • 2006 CHEVROLET IMPALA
2006 Chevy Impala V8

My remote key chain stopped working. The shop said it was a problem with the computer and it would cost about $500. To fix. @4hrs labor. Does this sem right?
It's hard to tell without knowing what they are actually repairing or replacing.

KANDII28
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I own a 2000 Chevy Impala V6 3.8 Sometimes when I turn the key the car will not start. The locks, windows, radio, and lights will all come on but the car wont make a sound. I originally thought this was a Passlock issue.I was told if I turn the key and the security light starts flashing then the passlock is activated, causing the car to go into theft mode. My security light only flashes when I leave the car in the ON position. It will flash low fuel, battery, then security. And keep going in that order until I turn the car back off. I had remote start installed and SOMETIMES that will start the car. I also had a resistor installed to bypass the Passlock system. My car still only starts whenever it feels like it and many times I have been stranded (for hours) until the car finally cranks back up. What could the problem be? I have tried everything I could think of and at this point I am just ready to get rid of the car! Pleas help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Saturday, November 17th, 2018 AT 11:03 AM (Merged)
Charge your battery then have it checked, it may be going bad causing this to happen. Mot sauto parts stores do this for free
KANDII28
Ok so I got a new battery. The car will start more often now but what I've noticed is that after the car has been running for quite a while is when its most likely not to restart after I cut it off. But now it will restart after about 10 minutes instead of hours.
+1
KANDII28
What else could be causing it to not restart after the engine has warmed up?
It could be a bad starter, relay or ignition switch or a bad wire/connection to the pcm. Have a pro load test the starter to seeif it is drawing tomany amps. You can replace the ignition switch as well but I dont 'know if you wan tto do a job like that. But you need to get it tested before replacing it. Also does it not turn over when it won't start or it won't run? If it won't run thencheck your fuel pressure.
KANDII28
No it doesn't turn over at all and there's no clicking noise or anything, but the lights and everything else will still work. I also just got a new starter in September.
Then have a pro look at teh iginiton switch orsee if a wire/connector leading to the pcm is bad and doing this. Just so you dont' replace parts unecessarily.
KANDII28
Ok thanks alot for your help. I'll look into it tomorrow.
RIVERMIKERAT
Kandi, was our last response successful in helping you get this fixed?