2006 Chevy Impala Power Steering

JOEN
  • 2006 CHEVROLET IMPALA
How do I flush the power steering system. I have drawn fluid out of the pump and replaced. Still dirty and dark. Joe
Wednesday, October 22nd, 2008 AT 10:21 AM

RHALL77
You would have to do that a few times. What is the reason your flushing the pump.
Thursday, October 23rd, 2008 AT 3:38 PM
JOEN
My wife drives the car all of the time. She is complaining about "a stutter" in the steering when you turn the wheel. I drove it and felt what I call a quivver when turning. I drew fluid out 6 times and it cleared up. The fluid however turned dark very quickly and the wife said the feeling is coming back. I thought that clearing all the old out would maybe clear it all up. The dealer has a flush kit that they will do for $165.00, being handy I thought I'd take a stab at it. Joen
Thursday, October 23rd, 2008 AT 7:12 PM
RHALL77
Does the steering bind up, or does it feel loose
Friday, October 24th, 2008 AT 8:49 AM
JOEN
No, Not binding. As you turn the wheel, the feeling is not smooth. The longer you hold the turn, the more pronounce the "Quiver" is felt. I call it a quiver, a stutter. You feel it in the steering wheel.
Friday, October 24th, 2008 AT 1:29 PM
JOEN
OK, this is 2006 Impala. Turning to the left is where the feeling is pronounced. As you turn the wheel you feel something each 1/2 turn to the stop. It feels likea rough spot. Not a bind but a rough spot. The turn is not smooth, and not felt if you turn to the right. Is there a universal joint or something that could be in need of lubrication? Joen
Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 AT 9:51 AM
JOEN
Just a reply to the stumper of the week. The noise and feeling in the steering, was caused by the intermediate steering shaft. The dealership had to take a lot of stuff off, in order to get to the shaft, but with the replacement in place the noise and feeling in th3e steering are gone. Thanks for listening, JoeN
Friday, October 31st, 2008 AT 11:03 AM
ERIK ZALENSKI
Wow! Im having the same trouble, Is it problem the dealer will have to repair? What's the estimated cost? Is it an easy fix?
Thursday, November 6th, 2008 AT 7:06 PM
JOEN
After the fix, I checked and this was an issue with my 03 Silverado. So far both were done while under warranty. The wife's boss who has an Impala, same year had the shaft and idler arm replaced. According to her they are an issue as are the intermediate shafts. Just one more thing to put on the check list. I wish I could help with the price, but the dealer would not give me one. I guess they have two prices, warranty and non-warranty price. Good luck. JoeN
Thursday, November 6th, 2008 AT 7:36 PM