2006 Chevy Impala heater

LEXREN
  • 2006 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Heater problem
2006 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a problem with my heater it dose not warm up when you start it and let it warm up the engine warms up fine but the heater dose not it just blows cold air until you start to move and in Minnesota this cause a bit of a problem
Friday, November 7th, 2008 AT 4:30 PM

RENAUDTN
Okay so from what I understand you don't have heat when your car idles, but you do when you're driving right?
Start by checking your level of coolant. With engine cold, your coolant in the radiator should be at least at the bottom of the radiator neck. In the overflow tank it should be a little over the cold mark. If it's low, add some GM 50/50 dex cool coolant (orange color), and check for leaks.

If your level of coolant is fine, check the following:
-when you first start the car in the morning (or whenever your engine is cold), grab the upper radiator hose with your hand; if you can feel coolant flowing through it, your thermostat is bad and you need to replace it. Also tell me: is your car taking an unusually long time to warm up? If so, try replacing the thermostat as well.
-with car idling at normal temperature and heat set on high, feel the heater hoses (the two smaller hoses that are hooked to the heater core inlet and outlet); are they both hot or is one of them much cooler than the other? If one is much cooler, your heater core is probably clogged up. Back flush your cooling system.

There are other possibilities for your problem but the ones above are the most likely. Come back if you need more help or if I misunderstood your problem.
+1
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 9:36 AM
RICH111
My 06 Impala, does warm up and when sitting idle cold air blows out.
When driving, then stopped at a stop light, the warm air turns cold, until I start driving again.
-1
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 8:33 AM
RENAUDTN
Okay,

Have you checked all my suggestions?

Here are a couple more:
-Weak water pump (less likely, but possible)
-air trapped in your system (bleed air with bleed screws)

Let me know what you find out, or if you need more help.
-1
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 8:43 AM
MIKAL99
I had the same problem with my impala.

They bleed the heat system.
-1
Saturday, November 22nd, 2008 AT 3:30 PM