2006 Chevy Impala BLeed Heater system cause leaking

MIKAL99
  • 2006 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I am having problems with my car and wanted to do some research before going to the dealer in the morning about the on-going car trouble.

Well on Saturday, November 08, 2008, I took my car for an oil change and mention to the guy that when warming my car up for about 10 minutes the heat is blowing out cold air and not heat. After I feel my car has been running for about 10 minutes I leave going to work. I have to drive for approximately 1 – 2 miles before the heater starts blowing heat.
Anyway after explaining to the dealer tech guy, they diagnose was to “bleed the heater system." Cost was 85.00.

Now on Monday and Tuesday Nov 10 and 11, The heater is now blowing out heat, but now I have notice that something is now leaking out of the front of my car (pinkish color substance) that never leaked prior to going to the dealership and having my car serviced on Saturday (11/08/2008). I took my car back to the dealer Wednesday November 12 and they diagnose (from the invoice) “(OP Code J3362) Hose, Engine Coolant Upper Replace. Upper Hose ($22.76), coolant ($28.58) + $119.00 for labor. So they replaced upper radiator hose; filled coolant system and bleed heater system again.

Now after two days of raining (11/13/2008 and 11/14/2008), I could not see whether the car was leaking or not. Now Saturday 11/15/2008, I noticed that the car is still leaking (I guess anti-freeze, it is a pinkish color substance)

My questions:
1st Is it possible that the dealer could have messed something up after the first repair of bleeding the heater system on 11/08/2008 that cause the leaking of antifreeze (pinkish color)
2nd Is it necessary to bleed the heating system for the second time when they replaced the upper radiator hose; filled coolant system
3rd Now I have noticed that when parking my car in my driveway that, if I pull-in the left side leaks and if I back-in the right side leaks.

Any suggestions. I need some guidance. What I am thinking is going to the dealer and say very politely that I have given you all ( $85.00 to fix the heat blowing (which is working); $186.00 for repairing a leak that was not leaking before the first visit on 11/08/2008 and still leaking and slinging fluid from the car belt under the hood. I refused to pay any more money to have the problem fixed and also the dealership should be responsible for performing something to clean under the hood where the fluid is leaking and cleaning where the belt was slinging the fluid. Does that sound like a good idea

Please help; what do you think.
Sunday, November 16th, 2008 AT 3:49 PM

JAMES W.
Just a couple questions. Antifreeze is usually, but not always, green. What color is the coolant in your reservoir? If your drivrway slpoes a little to one side, this could explain why the leak moves from side to side running along the frame. From the way you describe the leak, it sounds like it could be the water pump as it's being slung around by the belt. Keeping in mind, I'm on your side, not the dealership's. If it turns out to "be" the water pump and the dealership changed a hose instead, I would think they would be willing to negociate the hose cost into the pump replacement. Any, lst me know on the color of your coolant ASAP, and we can go from there. Jim
Sunday, November 16th, 2008 AT 4:40 PM
MIKAL99
Well I am reading my manual and running back and forth to the car. When I open the hood of the car there is a container on the back left of the engine That stated "Dex-Cool" and it is a pinkish color And you would not believe how little is in the reservoir.

The bottom of the conatiner is empty. However there is a little portion of the container that has a extra drop that has about a cup of the pink color left.
Sunday, November 16th, 2008 AT 4:59 PM
MIKAL99
I am trying to upload some pictures I took
Having no luck in uploading these pictures from to this site.

I can email them to you.
Sunday, November 16th, 2008 AT 5:19 PM
JAMES W.
If Dex-cool is on the reservoir, that is your coolant tank. And from what you say, it is low. If you want to run a little test. Bring the motor up to operating tempature. Turn the engine off and with a mirror, if you have a small one with a handle on it, look under the water pump pulley between the pulley and the engine block. The water pump will be right in the middle of the engine. There isn't much room there, but in the bottom of the water pump is what they call a "weep" hole that allows coolant to drain out if the seal goes bad. If there is coolant driping from this hole, the pump is shot.
Sunday, November 16th, 2008 AT 10:08 PM
DENNYP
Any time the pressurized part of the system is opened, it needs to have the air bled out. The tech at the dealer could have done a poor job and caused the leak, or he could have mis diagnosed the source of the leak. Without being able to see it, I can't tell you for sure. I would take it back and explain the situation to the manager. Have them pressure test the system while you watch. Just remember, a pressurized system is only strongest to the weakest point.
Monday, November 17th, 2008 AT 3:34 PM
MIKAL99
Thanks Guys

I went back to the dealer and explain what was going on. Now they say it was my water pump leaking. I can't believe by just bleeding the heat can cause a hose to leak and then a leak in my water pump.

I really think the tech at the dealer did a very poor job in trying to bleed the heat system and in return broke something in that area.

Luckily I spoke with the service manager and he was happy to fix the problem at no charge.
Saturday, November 22nd, 2008 AT 3:40 PM
DENNYP
I'm glad to hear everything worked out in your favor.
Saturday, November 22nd, 2008 AT 3:44 PM