2002 Chevy Impala low tire pressure warning

FATHERTIME271
  • 2002 CHEVROLET IMPALA
How do I reset the low tire pressure warning light? My manual does not cover it and I checked, all tire pressures are within 1lb of each other. I had this happen one other time and the dealer reset it but says he used a dealer only tool to do it and charged me $30! Ya got any other options for me?
Saturday, March 21st, 2009 AT 10:08 PM

Hi:
Special tool? Try this:

If you want to turn it off, turn the radio off and hold the DISP button for 10 seconds. This activates the setup menu. Scroll through until you see Tire Pressure and reset it. The car does not come with an active tire pressure management system. When it detects low pressure, you will HAVE to reset the light.

Also, I also read this but never tried it:

The easiest way to reset it is to turn the ignition to accessories and pull the interior light switch on and off three times. That should reset it.

Let me know if this helps. The first process I have tested and it works. The second one is new to me.

+2
Saturday, March 21st, 2009 AT 11:49 PM
ZACKMAN

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_02impalatpms1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_02impalatpms2_2.jpg

Disregard the part to clear DTC if you don't have the check engine light on. If you have the check engine light on, then you have to use a scan tool to reset.
+2
Sunday, March 22nd, 2009 AT 12:13 AM
FATHERTIME271
What scan tool are you talking about? Also I tried the reset using the RDS radio and tire pressure monitor was not an option listed. Also, the process using the lights did not work.
Sunday, March 22nd, 2009 AT 9:08 AM
Hi:
I didn't write that one, but to the best of my knowledge, he is refering to a standard OBD II scanner that covers cars from aprox 1996 through today.

Here is a picture:

http://www.2carpros.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

If you do a lot of your own work, they are nice to have, but if not, many parts stores will scan and reset this for free. If that is the case, stop at a nationally recognized parts store and have them scan and reset it. Most will do it for free, so there is no money out of pocket to try it.

Let me know if it works.

Sunday, March 22nd, 2009 AT 12:12 PM
FATHERTIME271
Tried scanner and it did not work either. Could one of the sensors be broken? Where would I look to find them, on the wheel hubs?
Sunday, March 22nd, 2009 AT 5:25 PM
The sensors are in the wheel itself. Here is a picture of one.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_tire_pressure_sensors_2_1.jpg

It may be a bad one, but I question why the light didn't go out and then come back on. Was the check engine light ever on? Also, you tried all three methods to reset, correct?

Let me know.
Sunday, March 22nd, 2009 AT 8:53 PM
FATHERTIME271
No, I only tried 2 of the methods. I do have an RDS radio, but the menu did not list anything for TPM reset. I tried the parking light switch method, I tried the interior light method and I used the scanner. Nothing. The low tire pressure warning light was on when I bought the car 2 months ago, I had the car at the dealer for a free oil change and asked the mechanic how to reset the light. He told me that only a special tool the dealer has can reset it. The tool cost $450 is available through GM. I picked up the car paid the $30 for the reset and it was good until last week when the temperature changed. Although that was what I was told, I don't believe GM would do something like that. Maybe I'm wrong. Also no chk eng light or anything else. Just this warning light.
Monday, March 23rd, 2009 AT 7:20 PM