Thermostat location

FULNIX
  • 2001 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Six cylinder front wheel drive automatic 233,000 miles.

From the diagram in a previous answer it looks as though the Impala's thermostat is located inside of where the radiator hose slips onto part of the manifold that comes from the engine block. If this is correct how do I remove and replace the thermostat?
Thank you in advance,
Monday, November 1st, 2010 AT 8:42 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
On a 3.8L V6, it is very simple. Follow the upper radiator hose to the manifold just in front of the throttle body. Loosen the hose clamp, pull the hose off of the "goose-neck". Loosen the two 10mm bolts (deep six point socket works best). And off it comes! Clean the surfaces and re-install new one.

It also helps to disconnect the five to six local sensors so that you can pull the wiring harness out of the way. There is also a vacuum line that you can pull off to help with clearance. Be gentle with the vacuum lines as they become brittle with age and heat over time.

$8.00 to $16.00 for a new thermostat and gasket.
Monday, November 1st, 2010 AT 9:19 PM
Is this a 3.4 or 3.8L engine?
+6
Monday, November 1st, 2010 AT 9:22 PM
FULNIX
This is a 3.4L.
+5
Monday, November 1st, 2010 AT 11:57 PM
FULNIX
This is the link:
http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2002-chevy-impala-overheating-vt517048.html
With a picture I found in another thread. it is labeled thermostat location. The only thing I see disconnected is the radiator hose. But I am assuming the two 10mm bolts your talking about are on the manifold that has the "goose neck" on it. Is this correct?
Thank you again,
Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010 AT 12:03 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Yes, as the diagram below shows, there are two bolts needing to be removed from the thermostat housing.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_0996b43f8023075a_1.jpg

+3
Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010 AT 12:07 AM
FULNIX
Thank you for all your help. I bought the thermostat and am going to replace it tomorrow. One more question. Is there supposed to be a gasket the goes between the manifold and the engine block or just the rubber round one that is already on the thermostat?

Years ago I replaced one on my 1993 Chevrolet Lumina and I think I remember that car had a gasket that went on the manifold. Just want to make sure I have anything.
Thank you again for all your help.
+1
Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010 AT 11:36 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
The thermostat gasket is the kind of thick round gasket on this vehicle, that is it.
+1
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 AT 6:14 PM