Power steering fluid check

SJTIII
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I'm trying to locate the power steering reservoir on my 2000 Impala. Sounds easy enough but on the 3800 motor the reservoir seems to be hidden. I simply want to check the power steering fluid level.
Tuesday, May 13th, 2008 AT 12:21 AM

RHALL77

The reservoir and fill cap with the dipstick is on the pump itself. Here are diagrams to help you see what I an talking about below. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
+2
Tuesday, May 13th, 2008 AT 7:45 AM
SJTIII
Thanks for the post! I found it. It's below the alternator and under 2 black hoses. Hard to see especially when all is covered in dirt/grime.
+1
Thursday, May 15th, 2008 AT 9:24 PM
SHOES
  • CHEVROLET IMPALA
I put transmission fluid were power steering fluid should go, what do I do.
The power steering lever was just below min line and I add transmission fluid.
Monday, December 31st, 2018 AT 11:51 AM (Merged)
JACK42
No worries, Trans fluid is very close to P/S fluid
HSLBRTH33
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I get stuck in the mud, we were able to rock and push the car out. When we drove away I noticed I had no power steering. The belt is not broke and the fluid level is fine, was a little low but added some. We washed the underside and wheels to get out all the mud. Still have no power steering. Advanced Auto said they don't understand why I have no power steering if my belt is not broke and my fluid is fine, no help. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Monday, December 31st, 2018 AT 11:52 AM (Merged)
CLKEELE
Well first off let me just say that I am by no means a mechanic but I do have a 2000 Chevrolet Impala with 170000 miles myself and I have come to find out that the things that require replacing are almost always the same thing on every impala. If your belt is not broke than most likely it is either the power steering pulley or the power steering pump and to the best of my knowledge even if it is just the pulley you will have to replace the whole power steering pump.
-1
KEN
Excellent addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)
Wednesday, January 2nd, 2019 AT 10:03 AM