CHEVY IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE

2000 Chevrolet Impala

kj7100

July, 21, 2008 AT 9:21 PM

2000 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 153000 miles

My 2000 Chevy Impala idles extremely high when I pull up to a stop sign or put the car in park. It makes a loud whirring noise when not moving. It sounds like the accelerator is being pressed down.

Could it be the idle air control valve needs to be cleaned? How difficult is this? And where is it located?

Thanks for your help!

rhall77

July, 22, 2008 AT 8:29 AM

It could be. Is there a check engine light on? I would check for a vaccum leak first.

kj7100

July, 22, 2008 AT 10:40 AM

No check engine light. When you say vaccuum leak, what exactly does that mean?

By the way, this morning it was fine so the high idling seems to be intermittant. It happens about every other day and when it is really hot outside.

rhall77

July, 22, 2008 AT 3:27 PM

A vacuum leak is when the engine is sucking air from a broken vacuum line or a broken gasket. You would hear a hissing noise under the hood. Sounds more like a temp sensor or a maf sensor since your talking about outside temp. You will need a scan tool to read those sensors to see what they are doing.

kj7100

July, 26, 2008 AT 7:15 PM

I am so sorry to keep bothering you, but now the flash engine light is flashing. I am going to take it to the mechaninc, do you still think this is a vacuum leak? Is this an expensive repair? Any other suggestions as to what it could be? The engine seems to be shimmying, the ride is much rougher now. I am considering trading the car off, so any advice/information you have is very helpful.

Thanks!