2002 CHEVY EXPRESS RIGHT REAR BRAKE LOCKS UP

• lt5
  • 2002 Chevrolet Express

Brakes problem
2002 Chevy Express V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

I have a 2002 Chevy 1 ton (3500) Express Van.
The right rear brake makes a rumbling sound and the brake locks up when you use them. The thing is it does not do it when you first drive it, only after you drive it several miles. It acts like the drums are out of round, but the drums and brakes are new and were checked hot and cold and are fine. There are no leaks, brakes shoes are on right (checked by 3 different garages). Here is the strange part we removed the tires and drums and put the right on the left and the left on the right. The problem still remained on the same side(right rear). No one including a Chevy garage has a clue.

Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 6:03 PM

• blackop555

Try opening up the bleeder valve on that brake, does that cause teh brake to release? Is it locking up and binding or is it not releasing? Or both? Does it lock up and squeel when u try to slow down to stop?

Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 10:33 PM
  • lt5

The brake releases as soon as I take my foot off the brake, it just locks and rumbles as the brake is applied.
If I use a little brake and I am on a slick road it will lock and release, lock and release etc. I even disconnected the ABS system fuse to make easier to stop on ice. That didn't change anything except gave me more control over the other wheels so I could stop better. You also asked about squeeling when I slow down - No squeel at all.

Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 10:53 PM
  • blackop555

Have you ever had teh ABS system checked?

Is it a diagonal split brake system or dual split. Ie left front and right rear and left rear and right front?

Brake line could be plugged, you have a 4 wheel antilock or front wheel antilock and rear wheel antilock?

Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 10:58 PM
  • lt5

Tech said the ABS is OK. ABS is front and rear

Do you think it may be the bearings on that axle?

Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 11:27 PM
  • blackop555

Take and disconnect your abs speed sensors and try to drive it. Does it stop better now? You could have a bad wheel cylinder, it may not be releasing fully and over a few stops th epressure builds up enough to cause them to self apply and grab when you brake.

Try new brake adjuster, springs, etc and a caliper.

Wednesday, March 11th, 2009 AT 9:38 PM
  • msfiers

Has this situation been resolved? I have the idential problem (same year, same tire-RR), however the brake locks up right away-no need to drive several miles.

Thursday, September 10th, 2009 AT 4:06 AM