2001 CHEVY EXPRESS BRAKE LIGHTS DON'T WORK WHEN HEADLIGHTS

• Mmorris5m
  • 2001 CHEVROLET EXPRESS

2001 Chevy Express V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 40000 miles

The stop lights work when head light switch is off but don't when the head light switch is on. Tried new bulbs but that didn't work. Also the parking brake will not hold the van. Is there an adjustment for this?

Sunday, August 3rd, 2008 AT 12:12 PM

• Mastertechtim

You either installed the wrong bulbs, the socket is no good or the ground for the light socket is not there. Why they dont work when the lights are on due to back feeding because of no ground. Make sure you are using a 2 filament light bulb, sometimes people mistakenly install a one filament bulb and this too can cause this to happen. If e brake does not hold its almost always caused by bad e brake shoes. It is usually necessary to replace rear rotors and e brake shoes with the hardware and I find almost always the adjuster is frozen.

Sunday, August 3rd, 2008 AT 5:35 PM
  • Redcoat

I have same problem as mmorris5m in Aug 3rd post, have cheched grounds behind kick panel, near the rear lights, pulled all connector I could fine, changed bulbs, checked sockets, still have the same problem

Tuesday, January 13th, 2009 AT 6:00 PM