2006 CHEVY EQUINOX ABS BRAKES

• tomnance
  • 2006 Chevrolet Equinox

Brakes problem
2006 Chevy Equinox 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 77000 miles

i have recently changed the brake pads and rotors on my 06 Equinox. All seemed to be fine for a week (including a a 400 mile trip). Then the brakes started acting odd. It feels like the ABS is trying to kick in. It happens when the brakes are applied gently. The brakes still work but there is that hesitation (causing a feeling of panic) before they engage.

Saturday, July 17th, 2010 AT 3:01 PM

• factoryjack

If the ABS was activating for whatever reason, you would feel a pulsing or vibrating, as well as possible feedback at the pedal. It sounds like you are describing a delay in braking action. Have you gone back over and inspected the work, and is there any warning lights on?

Saturday, July 17th, 2010 AT 7:15 PM
  • tomnance

Yes, the ABS light is coming on now and the traction light is also on (won't turn off).

Saturday, July 17th, 2010 AT 8:34 PM
  • factoryjack

If that's the case, there should be trouble codes stored that relate to a fault. There is no other way than a scan tool to extract the codes. If a visual inspection reveals nothing obvious like a disconnected wheel speed sensor, or damaged wiring from improper installation, the next step would be to have a diagnostic system check on the ABS system. If you could obtain a code(s), we might be able to go the next step. A base brake problem would in most cases, would not cause an ABS/TC concern, other than maybe low brake fluid.

Sunday, July 18th, 2010 AT 12:31 PM
  • tomnance

I think I may have found the problem. I did add a slight amount of fluid but I don't think that was it. I found the bracket that hold the ABS connector (located behind the rotor) was bent and the connector was loose. Nothing seemed to be disconnected but I bent the bracket back to where it seemed to go and taped the connector to secure it. The wires had been rubbing on the strut boot but weren't worn through. The problem has stopped for now. Thanks for your help.

Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 5:18 PM
  • factoryjack

Hopefully that's it.

Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 5:47 PM