Brakes went out, but now work?

MARTIN HUBBARD
  • CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Hi, I need help. Iwas going home the other day and my brake pedal started going to the floor. At first I could pump the brakes and they would work, but finally they would't work any more.I made it home and shut off the car. The next morning I got in and the brakes were fine. What is going on here. Please help I am afraid they will go out again and I won't be so lucky next time. Ican still here the pump behind the seat or valve what ever it is?Oh yeah it is 1987 corvette coupe with 70,000 miles L98 350. Thanks for your help.
Saturday, February 24th, 2007 AT 9:12 PM

FFAS23
I would say your master cylinder is going bad or a possible leak in one of your calipers or brake lines. You definitely have a leak somewhere for your pedal to go all the way to the floor. Don't take any chances. If you don't do your own work have someone look at it for you. First thing is to get the car up in the air off the ground. Take all 4 wheels off the car and check your calipers for any leaks. Check the hoses and brake lines. Check under the master cylinder also for brake fluid leakage. If no leaks at the calipers, brakelines or hoses I would definitely suspect the master cylinder for internal problems and would replace it with a new one.
Monday, February 26th, 2007 AT 10:06 AM
CARL NIETHAMMER
Martin,

I have the same brake problem in my 1991 corvette convertable. They go out when the car gets very hot and then work when the car cools off. What have you done in the past months to cure the problem?
Friday, June 22nd, 2007 AT 4:35 AM