2003 Chevy Corvette Oil Pressure

GOALING
  • 2003 CHEVROLET CORVETTE
My oil pressure usually sits at 40 psi and now it is above 80 psi and I am taking a trip tomorrow. Can I wait to take this in for inspection? I will put about 900 miles on the car on the trip?

Funny how this happen yesterday it was fine. I took it into the Chevy dealer to fill my transmission fluid after replacing my own radiator (which they did not like I did on my own). My other question. Could they have done something to the gauge to cause it to do this?

I am mainly concerned with driving the car for 900 miles and something really bad happening cause of the high pressure.
Tuesday, December 15th, 2009 AT 11:28 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there, you need to do an oil pressure test with a mechanical gauge to prove the exact oil pressure, if it is high, you will run the risk of blowing out a front or rear main seal, if the pressure is ok with the mechanical gauge, it will be a sender or gauge problem, the high pressure may be from a faulty pressure relief valve.

Tuesday, December 15th, 2009 AT 11:39 PM
GOALING
I had also asked if they could have done this to my car? I took it in 500 miles ago and they said nothing about it.
Tuesday, December 15th, 2009 AT 11:52 PM
MHPAUTOS
Sorry I forgot to reply to that,

There is nothing really that they can do to that circuit while doing the transmission oil, if they did knock or disturb the sender wire I would expect to see the opposite, no oil pressure on the gauge.

Mark
Tuesday, December 15th, 2009 AT 11:58 PM
GOALING
I appreciate your response so I understand I may run the risk of blowing out a front or rear main seal but what will that do to the car I just can't drive anymore. Will it hurt it?

Unfortunately I do not have time to manually change it.
Wednesday, December 16th, 2009 AT 9:57 AM
MHPAUTOS
If you blow out a seal, you will start looking oil, normally not a huge rate, but with those pressures you never know, the internals should handle the pressure with out much of a problem, you will have to keep an eye out for external leaks if you drive it.

Mark
Wednesday, December 16th, 2009 AT 3:13 PM