CHEVY COMPRESSION

1974 Chevrolet Corvette

reklaw_mit

October, 17, 2010 AT 11:28 AM

1974 Chevy Corvette V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 3000 miles

I have a 383 Stroker with dart ss heads and a mild cam. It recently started missing and backfiring. I pulled the plugs and noticed they had oil all over them. I did a cylinder compression test and the readings were cyl.1-115 psi, cyl.3-110 psi, cyl.5-115, cyl.7-90, cyl.2-60, cyl.4-65, cyl.6-80, cyl.8-90. I pulled a valve spring off to check the valve seals and when I did the spring dampener broke. The heads have teflon seals. What all do you think is wrong and what do I need to do to fix it? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

October, 18, 2010 AT 4:55 AM

Could be rings and cylinder wear, camshaft wiped out and timing chain off a tooth or so

reklaw_mit

October, 18, 2010 AT 5:55 AM

Is there another way to check the rings besides a compression test? The motor is suppose to be a new crate motor would they already be bad thanks

October, 18, 2010 AT 5:24 PM

Do a cylinder leakage test-if the air pressure is coming out of the oil dipstick its confirmed that is leaking thru there

Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Replacing Head Gasket
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro