2006 Chevy Colorado Multiple Misfire

GAVIN1029
  • 2006 CHEVROLET COLORADO

2006 Chevy Colorado 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 59000 miles

I had a misfiring problem and brought it to Autozone. They ran a diagnostics on it and said it was a number 1 misfire. I changed all the sparkplugs and the number 1 boot. It started running great and my gas mileage went up to where it should be. I drove it about 300 miles and it started running poorly again. I brought it back to Autozone and they ran another diagnostics on it and said it was a number 1 misfire again. I was told to switch the number 1 boot withthe number 3 boot to see if it changes from number 1 misfire to a number 3 misfire. If so it was a bad boot. I did that and brought it back to them for a third diagnostics check and now it is saying multiple random misfire. I was wondering what I can do to fix the problem myself. And maybe if it could be the box where all 4 wires run to. Please help. Thanks

Wednesday, June 16th, 2010 AT 11:28 AM

Random misfire is normally caused by vacuum leaks and bad fuel.

Wednesday, June 16th, 2010 AT 5:10 PM
GAVIN1029

So what what I need to check for a vaccum leak?

Wednesday, June 16th, 2010 AT 5:16 PM

You can use a vacuum gauge, or listen to a hissing sound around the intake manifold and vacuum hoses.

Wednesday, June 16th, 2010 AT 5:18 PM
GAVIN1029

So should I go ahead and change all four coils? Or maybe just the number 1 and 3 coil and see what happens. I know they are like 60 something dollars a piece.

Wednesday, June 16th, 2010 AT 5:27 PM

Check the no.1 cylinder compression and injector disregard the coils at this time till you rule out this two

Wednesday, June 16th, 2010 AT 5:32 PM
GAVIN1029

How would I go about checking num 1 cylinder compression and injector. I really don't know too much about engines. Just the simple things.

Wednesday, June 16th, 2010 AT 5:43 PM
BYATES

You need to clean your throttle body, it is easy and cheap

Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 2:36 PM