CHEVY LOCATION OF IDLE AIR CONTROL

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt

elbanano

May, 16, 2010 AT 10:35 PM

2005 Chevy Cobalt 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 71000 miles

Hi I Have a Problem With RPM Needle And Want To Clean Out the IAC But Can Not Find it. The Haynes repair manual doesn't mention it. Where is its location and how do I clean it?

bluelightnin6

May, 16, 2010 AT 11:40 PM

Hello and thanks for donating

Buy some throttle plate cleaner spray fluid at the auto store. Remove the air intake duct from the intake manifold and clean both sides of the throttle plate and bore with a toothbrush, rag and the spray cleaner. IAC valve will be located near throttle body as well. Spray the cleaner inside the IAC valve and swish it around awhile. Then dump out the excess fluid. You might blow it out with some low pressure shop air too.

elbanano

May, 16, 2010 AT 11:45 PM

HI I dont think you read my question I need to know where it is located ! If u dont know then give me my money back

bluelightnin6

May, 16, 2010 AT 11:46 PM

I told you where it's located. Near throttle body assembly. Read full answer please.

elbanano

May, 16, 2010 AT 11:49 PM

PLease I have looked every where man and I just want a straight answer I have removed the throttle body and nothing on there pls note I have a electronic throttle.I have also looked onlin for about a week straight and nothing do you really know

bluelightnin6

May, 17, 2010 AT 12:00 AM

Oh Okay sorry about that. The drive-by-wire type (aka electronic) throttle systems do not use an IAC valve. They use the throttle actuator control module and that is on the upper intake manifold.

You say theres a problem with the RPM needle, is the engine racing up and down or is it just the tachometer showing a false reading? If its truly idling irregular then check for vacuum leak in engine compartment and also test spark and fuel pressure

elbanano

May, 17, 2010 AT 12:03 AM

Ook let me tell you that it has stalled on me and in reverse and coming to a stop. Now can I clean that throttle actuator control module and if so how? Also if I cant I would replace it? Or can I buy that?

bluelightnin6

May, 17, 2010 AT 12:08 AM

No you can't clean it, it's an electrical computer type item and doesn't get dirty. It can be replaced but I seriously doubt that is your problem. Stalling in reverse and drive at stop is usually caused by a faulty torque converter which a lot of people don't understand, since the converter is technically a transmisison part. The fluid coupler known as the torque converter is constructed with clutch shoes that lock up to connect the engine at cruising speeds. If the torque converter malfunctions it can cause the clutch shoes not to release. This will cause the engine to stall at idle because the torque converter will not release, forcing the engine to stall.

elbanano

May, 17, 2010 AT 12:13 AM

Ok so let me get this straight it you beleive it isnt that but the torque converter. That would explain why im in second gear and it shifts it sounds like its grinding?And how much does that cost to have it replace/Fixed? Thanks man your really helping me!

bluelightnin6

May, 17, 2010 AT 12:23 AM

Yep those are definitely symptoms of a bad torque converter. estimate is below for replacing it..

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_2179.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname2_705.jpg

elbanano

May, 17, 2010 AT 12:27 AM

Where can get one.I'd like a sport one where can I get one though?