CHEVY MY TRUCK WILL NOT START,

1998 Chevrolet Cheyenne

arapaho

June, 30, 2010 AT 1:29 PM

1998 Chevy Cheyenne 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

have a 1998 chevy 1500 pu that just " shut down" on me while driving. It appears to be getting a spark but wont start. I ruled out the fule pump as I can hear it when I try to start the truck, I replaced the fuel pump relay, I recently replaced the fuel filter, disconnected the line past the filter going to the engine and there was gas in the line, so it appears to be going through the filter, I checked the " valve" behind the injectors to see if gas was getting to the injectors, very little squirted out when it should be 60-66 psi ( or so my manual indicated). I am at whits end!

internetmechanic

June, 30, 2010 AT 2:13 PM

I'd have to use a gage and check fuel pressure. Some of the national brand autostores used to loan out a fuel pressure gage, if you don't have one. Right now I suspect the pump, can't be sure without testing.

arapaho

June, 30, 2010 AT 6:24 PM

I read in my manuel that if you listen by the gas tank you can hear a whirring sound which indicates the pump is in fact working. However, I was also told that even though you hear the motor it doesn't necessarily mean it is pumping fuel. Well if the motor is working is that what it is running? The pump? Also I added 5 more gal of gas and tried again, no go, But now I have some gas coming through the pressure valve, which leads me to believe it is in fact pumping. Is there any truth in what I was told about the motor can still run and not pump gas? Or if I hear this sound that it is turning off and on indicates it is working?

internetmechanic

June, 30, 2010 AT 6:33 PM

Yes, it is true, the pump could run without pumping anything or very little. I'd have to use a pressure gage.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang