CHEVY ENGINE POPS SPUTTERS AND DIES

1989 Chevrolet Celebrity

kryptic47

April, 11, 2008 AT 8:13 PM

1989 Chevy Celebrity 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 160,000 miles

My car will start and I will drive for a while then the engine will start to sputter pop and die. I have also noticed when pushing the accelerator it seems to not want to 'go' unless I push down far enough on the accel pedal.

The last time I was inspecting the problem I drove around the block and noticed the battery gauge was jumping erratically (usually the gauge stays fairly constant but it was moving for no apparent reason). When I turned into my driveway the engine died. When I tried to start the engine it makes the same sputtering sound and an occasional pop. It will also have dead spots in the starting where it stops cranking for an instant and starts again with the sounds. I had the car in idle for about 15 minutes before I drove around the block with no problems with the engine. The problem has become more frequent (its been happening for about 2 weeks, but I dont drive too often or very far) since it first began.
I have replaced the spark plugs and wires about 6 months ago. I have also replaced the fuel filter about a month ago. The air filter is new as of this week. All my fluids are filled correctly.

After the engine has cooled down it will start and run normally.

2CarPros Ken

April, 14, 2008 AT 10:08 AM

Its sounds like you have a battery/cable problem, please check the battery cables for corrosion and clean or replace as needed, then recheck the charging system. follow this link http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/battery.htm
please let me know how it goes.

:-)

kryptic47

April, 19, 2008 AT 3:46 PM

Diagnostics showed valve cover gasket, cam sensor and ignition module.

2CarPros Ken

April, 20, 2008 AT 11:26 AM

It sounds like the ignition coil could be shorting out internaly, please check the condition of the coil and ignition module and replace if needed. If the cam trouble code return replace the cam sensor also.

kryptic47

April, 20, 2008 AT 3:44 PM

I will start replacing stuff when I get payed this friday.

What will a bad coil look like b4 I do check it

2CarPros Ken

April, 20, 2008 AT 10:19 PM

Remove the plug wires and look for corrosion at the terminals. If corrosion is pressent replace the coil.

kryptic47

May, 3, 2008 AT 9:10 PM

The ignition module fixed the problem. There wasnt corrosion on the terminals so I presume they are still good.

2CarPros Ken

May, 5, 2008 AT 8:36 PM

Good to hear, let me know if we can be of further assistance. GM had a problem with modules on that model.

Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW 5 Series
Oil Life Reset Light Honda Civic 2006-2011
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
 Oil Change and Filter Replacement Subaru