The switch is located inside the channel section of the brake pedal support and is completely inaccessible without first lowering the steering column. The switch is actuated by a rod and rack assembly. A gear on the end of the lock cylinder engages the toothed upper end of the rod.
1. If your vehicle is equipped with the SIR system disable the system before proceeding.
2. Lower the steering column, be sure to properly support it.
3. Put the switch in the OFF, unlocked position. With the cylinder removed, the rod is in the lock position when it is in the next to the uppermost detent. The OFF, unlocked position is two detents from the top.
4. Remove the two switch screws and remove the switch assembly.
5. Before installing, place the new switch in the OFF, unlocked position and make sure the lock cylinder and actuating rod are in the OFF, unlocked (third detent from the top) position.
6. Install the activating rod into the switch, then assemble the switch onto the column. Tighten the mounting screws. Use only the specified screws since overlength screws could impair the collapsibility of the column.
7. Reinstall the steering column.
8. Enable the SIR system.
Sunday, April 25th, 2010 AT 2:18 AM