TURN SIGNAL OR FLASHER PROBLEM

• RickHenderson
  • Chevrolet Cavalier

2000 Cavalier, 196000 KM, 2.2 L I think, standard trans.
My turn signals work only intermittently but the hazards work fine. It seems it could be the "flasher" unit. I was told it was probably under the dash and to follow the sound of the clicking when the flashers were on and I found the unit. It has two wires going into it (red and black) and doesn't look like the replacement unit but I can't see how I can remove it. Are there any diagrams on replaying the flasher?

Its strange that its not mentioned in the Maynes manual that I can find.

Any help would be appreciated.

Friday, March 23rd, 2007 AT 8:24 PM

• amnorto

I've got a similar problem with my chevy and myne is the the turn signal switch itself. Does the signal blink fast when or normal when switching it left or right?

Friday, March 23rd, 2007 AT 10:47 PM
  • RickHenderson

No it didn't go any faster.
I took it to a Speedy after I bought the flasher relay and said "I have a blinker problem, it might be the flasher.&Quot; and they took an hour of work, said it was the signal switch, charged me $130 for the part and when I drove off the lot the signal was worse than before.

I took it back today, they refunded my money from the last operation, took back their switch and put my old one back, then installed the flasher. Works fine now, though the "click" is a bit louder. They say they "misdiagnosed" the problem and only charged me half hour labour to install the flasher.

Stupid heads.

Monday, March 26th, 2007 AT 8:32 PM