COLLAPSED LIFTER ? OR BAD VALVE ?

Chevrolet Cavalier

jlee1192

November, 8, 2007 AT 11:18 AM

I have a 1996 Chevy Cavalier, it has 36000 miles, with a 2.2 engine. The car overheated and warped the head, I replaced the head with a used one, mileage unknown. I am getting good oil pressure but the engine is knocking, very bad it quiets some after warming up. Could this be a bad rocker arm and valve, or possibly a collapsed lifter. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated! I am about to get the origanal head machined and pressure checked then doing another swap, how would I check the lifters to make sure they are o.K.? Thanks again for your time and comments

merlin2021

November, 9, 2007 AT 3:00 PM

With the valve cover removed, check for play, up and down motion while engine is off, if the pushrod moves excessivly, lifter is collapsed, or push rod is bent. Usually load rapping is from the lower end, mains and rods!

jlee1192

November, 10, 2007 AT 3:55 PM

Thanks for the reply, and advice on the lifters. I have found that there is no play in the push rods. Just for s#*%s and giggles, with the vavle cover off I poured fresh oil on each rocker arm then started the engine. I heard no knocking for about 5-6 mins then it slowly returned. Is this an indication of something, maybe Iam not getting the oil pressure I thought I was? Or maybe bad rocker and valve. I can see oil pumped through each of the rods on to each arm.

merlin2021

November, 10, 2007 AT 4:38 PM

Are we talking tapping or engine knock? Use a real oil pressure gauge, unscrew you oil sender and screw in the tester, get the readings, and then get back to me! If oil pressure is low the first place you'll hear it is the lifters.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars