2005 Chevy Cavalier Turn Signal Problem

CHEVMAZ
  • 2005 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
2005 Chevy Cavalier 24000 miles

In my 2005 Chev Cavalier the hazard lamps and clicker work okay. However, the turn signal lamps and clicker work for a short while and then the turn signal fuse blows. The hazard bulbs and turn signal bulbs are the same I believe. Could this be anything other than a turn signal switch problem?
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 1:20 PM

DOCFIXIT
Hi
Both turn and hazard use the same wiring so that's out the only thing left would be the switch. Do they blink at the smae rate before trouble? Check the connector to switch see if any discoloration due to heat maybe loose connection causing high amp draw.
Let me know
Thanks for donate
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 1:44 PM
CALINDRA
My fiance is a mechanic, I have a cavalier as well, and I agree with the above answer, its the "switch". I had the same issue, and originally that why I thought the brights in my vehicle were not working. But odds are in your case. Its the "Switch".
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 2:10 PM
CHEVMAZ
Although I told the service writer at the Chevrolet dealership that my turn signals did not blow out fuse sitting in driveway, but only when car was driven, the mechanic at first told me that they corrected my problem by changing the fuse.

I had not noticed that my backup lamps are on same circuit as the turn signals.

Apparently a backup "combination bulb and alarm" (the likes of which I have installed on my cars for many years) was drawing too much amerage and blowing the fuse. They charged me an unconscionable $83 to diagnose and change the bulb back to a standard type.

Then they told me that transmission fluid was leaking at the half-shaft connection. What little oil/grease I saw there was not red and was not dripping. They insisted it was a serious matter they could correct for about $400 (or only $360 if they did the work right then), otherwise I might suddenly lose all my transmission fluid and totally wreck my transmission. I declined that service. And I'll not be returning to that dealer ever again.
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 AT 9:46 AM