Windshield wipers are not working

SHIGNIGHT
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic

i was driving with my windshield wipers on and heard a pop and the wiper on the driver side stopped working. I can move the wiper freely by itself. If I turn the wipers on the passenger side still works, but the driver side does not work. Can you tell me what this might be?

Friday, January 29th, 2010 AT 8:59 AM

MMPRINCE4000

Remove protective cap on base of wiper arm and see if the nut that holds it to wiper trans is loose. If so tighten nut, if nut will not tighten, the wiper transmission bolt is stripped and wiper transmission will need to be replaced.

+2
Monday, February 1st, 2010 AT 9:24 AM
MRMAN83

The above person has a legitimate answer, but his answer is no where near what the root of my problem was. The problem I came across was not the nut but is the actual bushing which snaps onto the ball joint on the wiper motor arm. The arm is held in place by some cheaply made plastic. I have a 1985 VW and the wipers still work (go figure), the overall design of the wiper system is pretty bad by Chevrolet standards. It is simply bad engineering on that specific part.

+6
Sunday, September 19th, 2010 AT 10:17 PM
MMPRINCE4000

The above person is making a conclusion, without seeing the problem. While he has posted about this problem (his own experience), that does not mean every problem falls within his experience.
If there is a TSB concerning this problem please post TSB number.

I would remove the wiper arms, cowl and inspect bushings and linkage assy, could be a bushing, could also be a loose nut, especially on an 2004.

If bushing, then get a replacement from Chevrolet, but check the nut first. Start simple and work your way up.

+2
Monday, September 20th, 2010 AT 9:09 AM
MRMAN83

I did not make a conclusion without seeing what the problem was. I fixed my problem which happened to be a faulty linkage bushing. That is why I took a picture and went into detail with the problem I had.

+3
Monday, September 20th, 2010 AT 11:42 PM
BOWLER300623

I have the same issue myself. I have visually inspected and found the same bushing to be split in half causing the linkage arm to fall from the ball joint on the bottom of the wiper motor. I have tried Dorman replacement bushings with no luck. Chevrolet wants to sell the entire linkage kit for $197.00. All this to replace a bushing that should sell for about $5.00. Do you have a part number and source to order this bushing from?

+2
Wednesday, February 12th, 2014 AT 2:14 PM
JUNKYARDSHOPPER

Poor engineering, agreed. Ten cent bushing on a $130.00 part. Nothing new about that. Reminds me of alternator brushes. People replace alternators every day because the ten cent brushes wear out. Very strange part. The studs and ball joints look press fitted, with the bottom of the plastic ring under the ball joint. Re-engineering (without a full maintenance shop and the required parts) would be more difficult than replacing it. Wipers are a safety item, so this poorly engineered part (made by DongYang Megatronics, Seoul, South Korea) should have been a recall in my opinion. The whole assembly (without the motor) is going for $10.00 at my local junk yard.

Wednesday, August 13th, 2014 AT 6:21 PM
ELLEMARCHELLE
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
  • MERGED

My driver side wiper blade stopped working after I was removing snow from my window and the snow remover got stuck under the blade while the wipers were moving. It stopped working after that. I am not sure if this means it is the wiper transmission or the linkage because the other wiper is working fine. I did take it to the mechanic down the street and he said it was the pivot or wiper transmission. I did try and have the wiper blade bolt tightened and that did not work. Not sure what needs to be replaced at this time.

+1
Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 1:35 PM
MIKE.SHRUM
  • 45 POSTS
  • MERGED

I would pull the air inlet grille panel check linkage if linkage is okay and not bent then yes transmission needs to be replaced.

Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 1:35 PM
CADIEMAN
  • MERGED

Go get one at the salvage yard. Install it on your transmission if it starts working the blade is then if it does not the transmission has to be replaced.

Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 1:35 PM
PONDSDP
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
  • MERGED

Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic 94,700 miles

The challenge: windshield wipers working intermittently but now seem to have stopped completely; driver's side door will only lock manually, daylight running light stays lit and headlights go out sometimes. Wipers have stopped while driving and lights have shut off an then back on while driving. Is this a fuse problem, an electrical system failure, a known problem with this car?

Tuesday, December 27th, 2016 AT 6:12 PM