2004 Chevy Cavalier Leaking Slave Cylinder, While iM in the

DAVID KENMUIR
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
So, I lost clutch pressure, bleed system down, got some pressure to hold. After driving for approx. 30 miles tried to shift at a stop sign, would not disengage clutch, clutch dropped to floor again. Thus I power shifted home. It seems that the fluid, dot 3 brake fluid, from the reservoir is making its way to the slave, and leaking internally down out of the inspection opening on the transaxle. I have a clutch disc, throwout bearing, pressure plate, alignment tool, and internal slave on order.
My question is. How do I get the transaxle out? I do not believe there to be sufficient room between the drivers side of the bell housing and the frame. Do I need to partially drop the engine? Is it worth the $1500 to let a shop do the work? Once I do get the transaxle out, and the bell housing off, is the slave inserted from inside and bolted to the interior of the bell housing? Then clutch components, then back on the engine?
Thanks in Advance
Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 12:30 AM

MMPRINCE4000
Slave on the Cav. is on input shaft of trans. and you are right the trans has to come out.
This is a BIG job. You need to suspend the engine, with a fixture that spans the strut towers, lower cradle, remove trans.

If you don't have the proper lift equipment, probably best left to a trans shop.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/108325_cav_slave_1.jpg

Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 10:18 AM