Fuel pump replacement?

CARRIEMILLSAP
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I am having trouble with my car starting. It will turn over but not start. We have replaced the fuel pump and the Relay and the Fuel Pump isn't getting power to run what can cause this
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 12:08 PM

RACEFAN966
I would first check the fuel pump injection fuse. It is in the fuse box inside the car and is a 15 amp fuse. If that's okay the fuel pump replacement instructions are below in a guide to show you step by step with diagrams below to show you how on your car.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-electric-fuel-pump

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
Thursday, June 25th, 2009 AT 9:35 AM
CARRIEMILLSAP
My grandpa Check all the fuses inside the car and under the hood, there is a new fuel filter. Relay has been changed. Don't know what else to do.
Thursday, June 25th, 2009 AT 12:28 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok now what I need you to do is check for power at the fuel pump relay. Now you will need to hook up a test light to the pink wire at the relay and turn the key on engine off do you have power there? If not then check the fuel pump injection fuse 15 amp, it is in the fuse box inside the car. If there is power there then I need you to turn the key off and now hook up to the dark green wire with the white stripe, now turn the key on engine off see if there is power it should have power for about 3 seconds or so, if that is good then crank it like you are going to start it does it power back up? If this is good then turn key back off and hook up to the gray wire and now turn the key on engine off does it have power for about 3 seconds? If so then go to crank like you are going to start it does the power come back on? Let me know how this goes and we will take it from there. What this will determine is weather or not the pump is recieving the power needed at the right times. Thanks and get back to me with the results.
Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 10:03 AM
CARRIEMILLSAP
My grandpa checked everything that you told us to do on the last reply and it got power to all the wires. But the car is still not working. What next
Tuesday, June 30th, 2009 AT 12:52 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok I need you to check the gray wire at the fuel pump and hook up a volt meter set on the 20 volt scale and then turn the key on engine off and see if there is power there for 3 sec. then crank it and see if there power, let me know what the voltage is if there is any. Then I need you to check the ground to the fuel pump, it is under the car just below the area of the front seat attached to the frame make sure it is not broke and has a good clean contact. Let me know what you find. Sorry it took so long to get back to you I went camping for the weekend with my family. Thanks.

Here is the pump for $117.00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CGFXB8/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=2carprcom-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000CGFXB8&linkId=bba3115378aad84383833a4f44321871
Wednesday, July 1st, 2009 AT 8:52 AM
HIBDON420
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I would like to know how to remove and replace the fuel pump using detailed diagrams if possible.
Thursday, December 5th, 2019 AT 1:13 PM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Relieve the fuel system pressure.
Drain the fuel tank.
Remove or disconnect the following:

Fuel sender assembly
External fuel strainer
Connector retainer from the wiring harness and the fuel pump

While holding the modular fuel sender assembly down, remove the snapring, if equipped or if equipped with a cam lock ring use Fuel Sender Lock Nut Tool J-39765 to press down and rotate the cam lock ring to remove it.

WARNING
If the modular fuel sender assembly is retained by a snapring, it may spring up from its position. When removing the modular fuel sender from the tank, be aware that the reservoir bucket is full of fuel. It must be tipped slightly during removal to avoid damage to the float.

Gently release the tabs on the sides of the fuel sender at the cover assembly. Begin by squeezing the sides of the reservoir and releasing the tab opposite the fuel level sensor. Move clockwise to release the second and third tab in the same manner.
Remove or disconnect the following:

Fuel pump electrical connection by lifting the cover assembly
Baffle and pump assembly from the retainer by rotating the fuel pump baffle counterclockwise
Fuel pump outlet by sliding it out of slot
Fuel pump outlet seal
SHABRAN
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Car stalls while idoling. Check fuel pump, changed fuse for fuel pump, change battery. Can not seem to find the problem
WRENCHTECH
You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try eliminating any vacuum leaks

and cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold

the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and

surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray

some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the

idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
My car died while in operation. When the key is turned, it sounds like it is starting but the engine wont fire. Installed new fuel filter. No change. Have power at front relays. Pulled cables running to the fuel pump connector located under rear seat cover, have full voltage there as well. However at the fuel connector, there is no ground and no power when measuring voltage at terminal A (black-ground) and terminal C (gray-fuel pump power feed) when the key is turned on. I having a new fuel pump available, but prior to installing it I wanted to make sure it was indeed the fuel pump and not just a fried wire somewhere. I'm concerned it could be related to the ECU which I'll admit I know very little about. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Check the fuel pump/injector fuse. Not only check the fuse, check for voltage on the fuse circuit, goes hot with the key on.
CINDEELOU
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
2004 Chevy Cavalier Front Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

instructions on how to remove 2004 fuel pump on chevy cavalier
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Relieve the fuel system pressure.
Drain the fuel tank.

WARNING

Remove fuel sender assembly, external fuel strainer, and connector retainer from the wiring harness and the fuel pump
Remove or disconnect the following:

Fuel pump outlet seal
JOELL
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
While driving down the freeway my car suddenly started loosing speed. I replaced the fuel filter but it still won't start. While the key was in the on position I can hear the fuel pump but it still won't start. Any suggestions? Fuel pump? Computer chip? What is the easiest/cheapest way to get my car running?
Have a helper crank it, while you visually check for spark at the plugs. If you have spark everywhere, use a gage and check fuel pressure. Some of the national brand autostores used to loan out a fuel pressure gage.
MONIEFREE
  • 2003 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
2003 Chevy Cavalier Automatic

how do you replace a fuel pump on a cavalier and where is it located
MERLIN2021

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Cavalier_1.jpg

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION -2003 Chevrolet Cavalier
Page 1 of 2

WARNING: To reduce the risk of fire and personal injury that may result from a fuel leak, always replace the fuel sender assembly gasket when reinstalling the fuel sender assembly.
NOTE: Fuel level sensor and fuel tank pressure sensor are removed as an assembly with the fuel sender assembly which also includes the fuel pump and fuel strainer. When installing fuel sender assembly, DO NOT fold or twist strainer. This will restrict fuel flow.
NOTE: Numbers in parenthesis correspond to numbered components in referenced illustration.

FUEL SENDER ASSEMBLY
Removal
Fuel sender assembly is located in the fuel tank. See Fig. 77 .
1.Release fuel system pressure. See FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE RELEASE (GASOLINE) . 2.Remove fuel tank. See FUEL TANK (GASOLINE) .
CAUTION:The fuel sender assembly may spring up when removing. The fuel sender assembly reservoir bucket is full of fuel. The reservoir must be tipped slightly during removal to avoid damage to the float. Carefully discard the reservoir fuel into an approved container.
3.Use the Fuel Sender Lock Nut Wrench (J 39765) to press down and rotate the retaining ring (1). 4.Remove the fuel sender assembly. 5.Remove the fuel level sensor from the fuel sender assembly. See FUEL LEVEL SENSOR .
Fig. 77: Locating Fuel Sender Assembly Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Installation
1.Install the fuel level sensor to the fuel sender assembly. See FUEL LEVEL SENSOR . 2.Install the new seal on the fuel tank (4). See Fig. 77 . 3.Align the fuel pipes parallel with the mark on the fuel tank. 4.Slowly apply pressure to the top of the spring loaded sender until the sender aligns flush with the retainer on tank. 5.Install the retaining ring (1) using the fuel sender lock nut wrench. 6.Connect the wiring harness to the fuel sender and the FTP sensor. 7.Install the fuel tank. See FUEL TANK (GASOLINE) .

7/31/2008
Page 2 of 2

7/31/2008
+2
ZUO107
  • 2003 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Can u please tell me tell me or show me the steps on how to change out me fuel pump on my 2003 cavalier please I need to replace it and I really dont know were that fuel pump is
BLACKOP555
Basically unhook the fuel lines from the gas tank and the fuel filler hose and drop the tank down by undoing the straps.

Once its down remove the fuel pump retaining ring and pull it out.
+1
HAMMY
  • 2003 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
2003 Chevy Cavalier

How long does it take to change this fuel pump