2002 Chevy Cavalier Check engine light/cooling fan

• 1 POST

2002 Chevy Cavalier 40000 miles

Hi, I’ve had this problem for a few weeks now and I hope someone can help me fix it. I own a 2002 Chevy Cavalier with approximately 40 thousand miles. About two weeks ago when I was warming up the car on a very cold day I noticed a burning smell coming from the heater vent. It smelled like plastic burning. After a while the smell would dissipate as I drive and no other problems were noticed. I checked the anti-freeze and oil level and everything is ok. About a week ago the check engine light came on so I took my car to Advanced Auto Parts and had the salesperson put on the diagnostic tool to check what the error code was. It came up with p0480, cooling fan #1 relay. I bought the new part, put it in, had the salesperson reset the fault code and away I went hoping the problem was fixed. Everything was ok until later that night when I went to go to work and the check engine light came back on. The engine is running “slightly" hot as it was before the fix at 195 degrees and I noticed that the radiator fan is not turning. I am not sure if it is supposed to turn all the time, but I assume it should. I no longer notice a burning smell coming from the heater vents either. If anybody could help me with this I’d greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time. Chet

Friday, February 19th, 2010 AT 4:00 PM

• 899 POSTS

Your fan should not run all tge time, it should come on around 220-228 degrees and kick off around thermostat temp. It should also run when you turn on the a/c or defroster. You may have a faulty sensor. Check to see how it cycles, if as mentioned then it's working correctly, but you will need further diagnostic work to determine the cause of the mil. Let me know. Jeff

Friday, February 19th, 2010 AT 9:05 PM