Engine Overheating

LOUIE4ME
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

Engine Cooling problem 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

2 months ago the car overheat. Found the thermostat sstuck closed. Car has been running fine since. Change oil, Spark plugs and wires, air filter. Started to drive car out of town. Temp was fine at 40 mph, at 75 mph would heat up to about 210. Brought car back to garage and leaked anti freeze. Found lower radiator hose with small hole in it. Replaced hose and water pump and thermostate. Car is still overheating no just when in the driveway.
When they change 1st thermostate the used regular anti freeze. What could be causing to overheat? It acts like it is not curlating the coolanr

Tuesday, November 9th, 2010 AT 11:19 AM

LEGITIMATE007

Are you saying the vehicle is overheating, just according to the gauge on the dash? That may just be a false reading, of course we cant assume, back to your question, a couple of things that may cause overheating of the coolant, can be incorrect dilution of the coolant, you must use fifty/fifty, a bad radiator cap, will cause extra heating, a semi clogged radiator. Is another, what Iam thinking may be a possibility as to why the gauge is reading high, is the engine coolant temperature sensor, if that is faulty it will give erratic and false readings. Also you will need to make sure that your radiator fan isnt bad. Check to see if it comes on, one way to check if it is working, is to hardwire it directly to the battery.
Any more questions feel free.
Jody

Tuesday, November 9th, 2010 AT 11:27 AM
WORDWEAVER
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 125, 00 miles

My low coolant indicator came on a couple times 2 days ago. Yesterday a.M. I added antifreeze. Got the cap on crooked. It was about 5 degrees. It took a bit longer than normal for car to warm up while driving, but it kept heating. After a few miles on freeway, I pulled over because temp was in the red. I let car cool awhile, then limped for home on city streets, stopping once more to let car cool. Talked to auto parts strore clerk, who thought it was thermostat, but as I said, I noticed this a.M. That cap was on crooked, and that much of my fluid was gone. Could it have boiled over from crooked cap? Also, how much damage could I have done to my motor from driving it hot? When it was hot, I got only cold air from heater. It started last night, but when I shut it off after about 2 minutes, it wouldn't start until it sat for about 1/2 hour. Then it started again. It's in my garage now. How will I know if I damaged the motor?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Wednesday, November 1st, 2017 AT 10:35 AM (Merged)
RACEFAN966

Ok yes a cap not on all the way can cause the car to overheat as the antifreeze will go out rather then in the overflow bottle. Now the question is did it do and head damage? The only way you will know is to take it to a shop that can do a sniff test as I call it. They call it a chemical test on the radiator. What they do is use a chemical that changes color when you have combustion gases in the radiator if you do then the head is worped or the head gasket is bad or the head is cracked. So start with that and see what is found and go from there. Let me know what you find.

MATTMITCHELL
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

My car started overheating after driving, but not at idle. Figured it was the radiator so replaced that, checked all hoses, no leaks to be found. Drove it approximately 15 miles even set in a drive through and stop lights with no issues, then as I'm heading back home (approximately 20 miles at this point total) it starts overheating again. I've went. Through 3 jugs of antifreeze, checked the water pump, the electrical stuff, the fuses, etc., Put a new thermostat, & a new sending unit in and still the same thing. It isn't showing any signs of being the head gasket, no smells, oil in water or antifreeze in oil, don't know what to check at this point. Compression is good also.

Pressure check the cooling system i'm sure you'll see it drop off and it's probably the head gasket it doesn'thave to leak oil into antifreeze nor into oil.

MATTMITCHELL

How do I pressure check this on my own and also is it possible it's the water. Pump?

Idoubt it 's the water pump you have to have a coolant pressure tester most mechanics have them see if an auto parts will rent one.

LEARSIY
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

2001 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 169000 miles

I have a cavailier and the problem with this car I s that is overheating I already checked the water pump, the thermostat and they are ok, and theb radiator is not leaking what could be the problem
thank you

OBXAUTOMEDIC

Ok, you say you checked the Thermostat, how did you check it? Has it ever been changed? How is the coolant level?

ALCHG1996

Make sure that the gauge is reading it correctly. It could be incorrect reading of the temperature. Good luck.

LEOGIRL43
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

It has been overheating, put coolant or water in it then goes dry, comes out the overflow and bubbles cause its hot. We took the thermostat out and idled car without it and it ran fine and didnt over heat. We bought new thermostat and put it in and it is doing same thing. Its a 2.2 L. Any suggestions?

Could be airlock in it -try bleeding the cooling system -start here-New thermostat put in correctly/tested?

STORMMY52196
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 105K miles

I am trying to get my a/c refilled and it wont go in, the fan wont turn on and someone said there is a release valve, where is it or any idea you can give me would help alot, I am a single mom and cant afford to bring it to a shop. Thanks guys!

DOCFIXIT

HI
If cooling fan not on then is A/C compressor clutch engaging? If not then problem is electrical. Try this , see diagram, remove connector jumper with smalll wire. Compressor should engage if not problem electrical.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_500.jpg

Let me know

MLECLAIRSCAVI2001
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

I have a 2001 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 Liter Coupe and right now we can not drive it because it over heats. The fan will not work and he Thermastat has been replaced and a coolant fan fuse has been replaced. We are not sure if it needs a waterpump, a sealant, a new fan, or a gasket or radiator. We don't want to go out and get all these parts and only one thing is needed. I have tried to research how to check the pressure of the coolant system on yourself? How could we do that to see if there is a leak somewhere before we start replacing parts.

Thank you,
Monica

Use a bloc check-a chemical test or a cooling pressure tester to check further could be a blown headgasket cracked head or block

MLECLAIRSCAVI2001

Thank you I will try that.

PICTUREGIRL1213
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 90100 miles

at first youi hear a click noise, sounds like the fan trying to kick on but then you notice the ac blowing hot air, then the temp starts to rise, also a strange hissing noise.
I checked the fan while the car was running and it never came on. Could it be the surpentine belt? Or something else?

BMRFIXIT

The fan is an electric motor
and has noticing to do with the belt
when AC on the coolant fan should cycle on to keep radiator temp low
you don't see the fan on
I would check fuses, coolant fan motor and relay

CAVALIERPROBLEMS
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

2001 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 145000 miles

My car recently decided to over heat. It would shoot straight up to 260 (cooliant max) driving down the highway then a couple minutes later it would go right back down to 100. A little bit of smoke is visible coming from under the hood but when stopped and hood up it just rolls out. We changed the thermostat in it and added cooliant and water. Took it for a test drive and it's still doing it. I also am having troubles with my heater in my car I have no clue what to do with that. My car never really had any problems until now and it is very frustrating. What could possibly be wrong with it now? First snow fall hit us 10/27/08. PLEASE HELP!

Wednesday, November 1st, 2017 AT 10:36 AM (Merged)