CHEVY OIL LEAK

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier

nelmel

Engine problem
2000 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180K miles

Here is my problem. I have a 2000 Cavalier, its registering right at about 180 thousand miles. I was on my way home the other day, stopped at the gas station, and noticed a burning smell.

I got out of the car looked under it, and noticed a huge amount of oil leaking from around the oil pan.

It took 2 qrts of oil to make it home. When I pulled in the drive, the oil I put in, drained out before I even made it to the door.

The next day, I raised the front end. Wiped down any oil residue, and put a quart and a half in, started the car, but noticed it wasn't leaking from the oil pan resevoir, or the filter. It was leaking rapidly down from the top of the engine.

Looking at the engine from above I couldn't see anything. What could this be? The first thing I thought of when I noticed it coming from the top, was cylinder head. But when I read about cylinder head problems, they are more along the lines of coolant troubles.

Please help!

Desperate in Louisville.

Oil Leak From Engine

merlin2021

Look for the PCV, if it goes into the rear of the block on top, replace the rubber grommet. Tell us the engine size and I can be more helpful...2.2 it may be the oil pressure switch,

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_OPS_1.jpg

nelmel

It is a 2.4 liter (Cavalier Z-24). I the valve in which you refer looks to be around the oil filter, according to your graphic.

But when I inspected it this morning it was dry as a bone around that area. It was coming down from somewhere up top. This is the worst oil leak I've ever seen.

I didn't realize a car could lose so much oil that fast.

Thanks for your rapid response.

merlin2021

How about this one...Cam position sensor on the 2.4...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_CMP_2.jpg

nelmel

I can't tell where your going with this. Its a tremendous amount of oil leakage.

By looking at your graphics, is this switch/valve located by the oil filter (which is underneath the car), or towards the top by the valve cover?

What do the cam/pvc correspond to huge amount of oil leaking?

This is a transverse mounted engine. If that helps.

Thanks again,

Nelmel

Removing Stripped Drain Plug
Replace Oil Pressure Sensor
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front