1998 Chevy Cavalier location of O2 sensors

INHATREDOFME
  • 1998 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I have a 98 cavalier and it started losing acceleration power, I would press the gas and it wouldn't go. I took it to auto zone and they ran a diagnostic on it and it said that the o2 sensor in Bank 1 Sensor 2 could be bad or had a bad connection. According to the readout they gave me it should be before the cat converter but I can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated.
Saturday, January 17th, 2009 AT 3:46 PM

ZACKMAN
Before going any further, I need the EXACT code number to make sure you get the right sensor.
+1
Sunday, January 18th, 2009 AT 3:22 AM
INHATREDOFME
I'm not sure exaactly what code i'm looking for, on the slip they gave it me says. H02S 12 Heater condition (heated oxygen sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2)
Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 1:45 PM
ZACKMAN
It should be on the slip. It will start with a "P" followed by four-digit number. These are some of examples for heated oxygen sensor for Bank 1 Sensor 2.

P0036 HO2S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0037 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0038 HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0139 02 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0140 02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0141 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Description:
Bank 1: Bank means cylinder head. In your case, you only have one bank (Bank 1). Locate your exhaust pipe. Sensor 1 is the one by the exhaust manifold and sensor 2 is the one after the catalytic converter. Sensor 1 sometimes is also called pre-cat sensor, and Sensor 2 called post-cat sensor. You have go under the car, locate the cat in the exhaust pipe, and you should see a 4-wire sensor attached to the exhaust pipe.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_98cavunderhood_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_o2sensor_1.jpg

+5
Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 5:35 PM