1996 Chevy Cavalier Fuel Line Freeze Up

FYRITUP52
  • 1996 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
1996 Chevy Cavalier

Hello everyone, my name Is Bill and my Cavalier the fuel line keeps freezing. Last year it did the same thing and my BIL told me the fuel filter was froze because of water in the filter. My question is:When I get the car thawed out enough to start, if I change the filter, will that stop my freezing problem?I also use the fuel line de-icer the last time it was thawed but it still froze, but the temps here have been really cold
Sunday, January 10th, 2010 AT 10:03 AM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
You should definitely replace the filter but this will not prevent water build up again. Gas line anti-freeze is your best bet to prevent freezing. Be sure to get a high enough rating of anti-freeze for your atmosphere. Adding Methanol is also a good way to prevent fuel line freeze up, because it keeps the water crystals that are forming from freezing, and binds with the water molecules to allow ignition in the engine.
Sunday, January 10th, 2010 AT 1:56 PM