1995 Chevy Cavalier Vibration

NALLJIM
  • 1995 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I recently changed the front half shaft on the drivers side. I had a very small vibration at speeds around 45 to 55 mph prior to changing the axle which I thought was most likely was a tire out of balance. After changing the axle the vibration increased by 2 to 3 fold and the speed at which the vibration became apparent moved up to the 55 to 65 mph range. Since then I have balanced and rotated tires, took to a garage and had tie rods, ball joints inspected, alignment preformed, replaced a rim that had slight damage even went as far as to replace passenger side axle and the drivers side wheel bearing was replaced about 3 months previous to axle replacement. It is not a warped rotor because itis not felt in the steering wheel or increase when the brakes are applied. It is still felt when coasting or clutching the car. The vibration is not always the same intensity it gets better or worse at different times. It is not felt in the gear shift and felt very little in the steering wheel. I am at a loss the only thing I can think is maybe the new shaft is slightly bent, but the vibration was there previous to replacement, but only very very slightly. Over the last couple of weeks it has seemed to have gotten a little worse. Any suggestions?
Saturday, August 2nd, 2008 AT 8:05 AM

MASTERTECHTIM
These engines are very common for vibrating caused by rear engine mount being worn, im not exactly sure what you are describing but does the car vibrate at all at idle in gear? If it only started vibrating after axle replacement then id put in another one, I also have had a spring of bad luck with the 50 dollar replacement axles too. But double check the engine mounts
Sunday, August 3rd, 2008 AT 6:26 AM