CHEVY WHERE'S MR GOODWRENCH?

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier

volcanix

December, 2, 2009 AT 10:39 AM

Computer problem
1991 Chevy Cavalier 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 90,000 miles

Cars been at the GM dealers for 3 weeks needs part 16190140 e-prom. They can't find the part? Told them it at GMGENIUMPARTS. NET. They said listed but they don't have. Where can I tell Them to get the part.

mmprince4000

December, 5, 2009 AT 8:16 AM

Did you check local autoparts stores for a remanufactured unit?

You may have to go to a junkyard.

Are you looking for the ECM or PROM chip or both?

volcanix

December, 5, 2009 AT 4:08 PM

I have given the GM dealer permission to put one in from the aftermarket or junk yard. I called the junk yard and they wanted the entire computer's serial number and not just the e-prom number. Three service bullitens have been issued for this e-prom, and he is even looking for older numbers.

mmprince4000

December, 6, 2009 AT 6:29 AM

Some manufacturers keep parts for a long time, others about 10 years.

There are Federal laws with regard to emmissions parts, but otherwise, it is up to manufacturer.

Good luck, I hope you get it fixed.

volcanix

December, 6, 2009 AT 10:49 AM

Its been nice to say show me a 91 toyota that hasn't been garaged and looks and sounds like this. I even let my boys beat on it, I thing they took it four wheeling from what was stuck under the bottom. Hey my grandfather was on that small rocky island corregidor.

mmprince4000

December, 7, 2009 AT 6:54 AM

Thank your grandfather for me for his service. Mmprince4000.

volcanix

December, 7, 2009 AT 11:21 AM

The U.S. Marine Corps has given me all the information I need to find him at the Manila American Cemetery. They even gave me his award and an 800 number to call if I have any problems. He died on the final day of the battle from multiple wounds. They were very much out numbered.

mmprince4000

December, 8, 2009 AT 7:52 AM

Say a prayer to your grandfather for me.

volcanix

December, 8, 2009 AT 12:09 PM

I'm going to stay right on the Island in a hotel. I've even got a filipean girlfried waiting for me. They have trams from the war still running. It like a preserve for birds. I will see the big guns and travel the underground tunnels. I will touch the old spanich flag pole that old glory flew from. But first I have to get that E-prom.

mmprince4000

December, 8, 2009 AT 5:30 PM

Good luck with the PROM chip.

volcanix

December, 8, 2009 AT 6:32 PM

Found an 800 for GM. They said they would help. They were very understanding. They will get back to me in 24 hours with an answer.