CHEVY HARD TO SHIFT THE TRANS INTO 2,4,OR REV

1990 Chevrolet Cavalier

erirish

February, 22, 2008 AT 11:39 AM

1990 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 30000 miles

I have a 1990 Chevy Cavalier with over 300,000 on it. Has been a great car, but now the it has gotten very hard to shift it in to 2, 4, or Rev. I'm a pretty strong guy and can muscel it into grear, but it's not easy at all. 1, 3, and 5th all seem fine. I don't think the clutch has ever been replaced on the car. So, that's kind where i'm leaning, but I would think it would start to slip or grab. There is none of that. Can you guys help me out.
Eric

Jack42

February, 22, 2008 AT 11:49 AM

Those are all back towards you on the shift pattern? Might be a shifter bushing problem if the others are ok

erirish

February, 22, 2008 AT 11:56 AM

Yes all the shift pionts are back towards me. I was reading other sites and some say to replace the clutch. I figure that it needs to be done anyway, after 300,000 or so. So, I think that I going to replace the clutch. Where are the shifter bushings located, I imagine in the transmission, but are they easy to get to?

Jack42

February, 22, 2008 AT 12:13 PM

On the shifter itself. Down at the pivot point or where the shift cable or rod attaches to the trans

erirish

February, 22, 2008 AT 2:57 PM

Cool I'll defiantly look there first. That sounds easier then pulling the trans. Thanks

Jack42

February, 22, 2008 AT 3:51 PM

Not sayin you didnt get your moneys worth with 300k on that clutch. Never heard of that many miles on one before

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars