CHEVY COOLING FAN

1990 Chevrolet Cavalier

Randisius

May, 21, 2009 AT 10:56 AM

Engine Cooling problem
1990 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I just recently fixed the Temp Sensor and Switch. Now the cooling fan doesn't seem to want to come on. The fan motor works. The relays work. And all the plugs and sensors work. My question is, could the thermostat keep the fan from coming on, and if not then what could be my problem?

obxautomedic

May, 21, 2009 AT 11:15 AM

The way the thermostat will affect the sensor is if it is stuck closed or stuck open and the coolant is not reaching temp to switch the fan on.

So it your vehicle is over heating then it is possible that the thermostat is stuck closed.

If you vehicle is not reaching normal temp then it is possible that the thermostat is stuck open.

.

Randisius

May, 21, 2009 AT 11:22 AM

.[/Quote: 1e6249257a]
Well, what's happening is the thermostat is staying open, but the fan isn't coming on and the motor runs hot. I can't say it's overheating, but it does get hot.

obxautomedic

May, 23, 2009 AT 12:59 PM

Well if it's not over heating but it is getting hot then it is possible that it just isn't reaching temp to turn fan on.

If you have a let say 195 degree thermostat if it is only getting a temp of about 200 - 205 then the fan won't be turned on by the sensor cause the turn on is at about 210 - 215. And if the thermostat is open then it will reach a certain temp and pretty much maintain it with therm open.

.

Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500