CHEVY SHAKES AND SLIGHTLY SPUTTERS WHEN IDLE

1995 Chevrolet Camaro

Source

March, 30, 2009 AT 10:15 AM

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1995 Chevy Camaro 190000 miles

I've recently started experiencing problem with my Comaro. When I crank the car, while in idle it seems alittle rougher and instead of a steady hum it sometimes wobbles like it is going to cut off. Its not too severe, but I can feel it sputter. I also noticed that when I reached about 50 mph the car it vibrated violantly and shakes. Constantly. This sometimes happens when I accelerate trying to increase speed too. I took it to a mechanic and explained the problem to him. He popped the hood and cranked the car up and rev'ed it a few times and said he did not feel any abnormalities. It didnt act up while he was checking it. He said he didnt know what it could be. He could only guess. He said the that it could be a " fire" issue or the modulator is failing. He saw that my spark plug wires were still factory and said that may be whats failing. He suggested that I get new spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter. But said that that was a guess since he couldnt experience anything first hand. I tried to get him to actually drive the car and accelerate to 50mph+ to experience the problem himself, but apparently he was too busy. Was his suggestion of a fuel filter, spark plugs, and wires. Remotely near what could be the problem.I looked on here and saw others with similar problems and only 1 reply came back with the spark plugs. Etc. Every other suggestion was worn cv joint. Alignment issue. Etc.I wanted to put this question in under my car model in case the situation may be different. I dont want to spend money on a solution that may not fix the problem.

James W.

March, 30, 2009 AT 12:06 PM

Well, your mechanic had one advantage we obviously don't, he had the car in front of him. But, going by your description, I would suggest a good tune up to start with. Worn plugs and wires will cause the symptoms you listed. AND, it's always good to start with the simple things first. Let us know.