CHEVY RAN OUT OF GAS AND NOW IT WONT START

1994 Chevrolet Camaro

lordoz420

April, 20, 2008 AT 12:41 PM

1994 Chevy Camaro 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

I recently ran my camaro out of gas. It had been sitting due to a tail light problem and I fixed that. Well I start it often cuz I have always been told it is not good to let them sit. Well shortly after I fixed the tail lights I decided to start it. I knew it was low on gas but decided that it should be okay. Well it tried to start and then kind of sputtered and backfired. Now that I have put Gas In it, the car still wont start. It turns over fine and tries to fire but for some reasonas soon as it does it backfires through the air filter and the tail pipe and so on. I assume it was out of gas to begin with and something settled in the filter and now it is not getting gas. If not then I am stumped. Any insight would be invaluable.

D5NUKE

April, 25, 2008 AT 2:49 AM

Running a car out of gas is bad for the fuel pump. You can stir all kinds of debris from th ebottom of the tank when you do that and cause the fuel filter to clog up and run the risk of burning out your fuel pump. The fuel in the tank works as the coolant for the pump. Shoot some starter fluid in the intake and see if it fires up and if it does then you have a fuel issue. Check fuel pressure and I would also just throw on a new fuel filter not a big dollar item.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right