CHEVY BRAKES

1971 Chevrolet Camaro

sather

March, 19, 2009 AT 2:50 PM

1971 Chevy Camaro V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual

Four wheel disc brakes, with no power assist
new calipers, pads, rotors. I hit the pedal hard, and even at low speeds(10-15 mph), the wheels will not lock up. With a pressure guage, what should be the right pressure at the bleeder valve? Could replacing the master cylinder help?

blackop555

March, 19, 2009 AT 8:54 PM

Why do you want the wheels to lock up? If you want it to lock up take out the proportioning valves.

If you want it to lock up stand on the pedal when you stop it that will lock them and try going faster.

If it brakes like a normal vehicle dont be trying to mess with it.

sather

March, 20, 2009 AT 1:40 PM

Even if I stand on it, like in an emergency, on dirt or sand, the brakes won't stop the wheels, you just slow down, slowly!
It's like the calipers aren't squeezing enough, and I need to stop. At 60, I've driven lots of 'normal', and this ain't it.

blackop555

March, 20, 2009 AT 9:16 PM

With vehicle off try to pump up the brakes and hold about 200 pounds of pressure on the pedal. Does pedal stay up or go down?

Check the pressure and let me know what your getting. Is it a dual split brake system or is it diagonal split like the older model vehicles.

If its diagonal dont be expecting too much of a locking going on.

How slow does it stop?

(help)

March, 20, 2009 AT 9:39 PM

I think you said it all with " no power assist" the older cars just didn't stop that well. Do you have non-OE tire size? Did you seat in the new pads very slowly and completely? &Quot; Avoid panic stops first 200 miles" is one thing I've seen on packages. This seems excessively cautious.
It's always important to seat them in, though.

blackop555

March, 21, 2009 AT 11:27 AM

If you can stand on the pedal and push all your weight with both feet and that wont lock it up there may be a issue.

But if your pushing hard with one foot and non power assist. You aint goign to lock it up.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet