CHEVY MISFIRING

Chevrolet Blazer

curtaj

August, 8, 2007 AT 9:08 PM

I have a 97' chevy blazer with roughly 67000 miles on it with a 4.3 liter vortec. Just recently it's been starting chugging at idle. When I get going it goes back to normal but every time I come to a stop it starts chugging again idling around 500-600 rpms. My check engine light comes on and then it starts flashing.A few times it's died on me. My dad checked the code and it says cylinder 3 misfiring. One time he checked it and it said something like various misfiring. Also, when I come to a stop the brakes work like normal but after I stop and let off the brakes then reapply them the pedal gets stiff like the vehicle was turned off. So far we've replaced the cap, rotor, spark plugs, plug wires, and we've checked for leaking vaccuum lines. We've had no luck and it's still chugging. I'm hoping you might have an answer for it. Is it possible my catalytic converters plugged and I need a new one? I'm kinda tight on money so I don't want to waste it on something that might not fix it.?

merlin2021

August, 10, 2007 AT 2:23 PM

When the MIL or check engine light flashes, it means you could be damaging the converter! Get a rubber hammer and bang on the conveter, Hear any rattling inside it? If yes it's gone and needs to be replaced. I would pull the spark plugs and check thier condition, also the wires. Misfire can be bad plugs or wires!

rayt333

November, 2, 2007 AT 8:38 AM

This sounds like the classic " EGR vavle sticking" open.

tbixster

November, 3, 2007 AT 5:59 AM

You have a common problem most blazerowners have-egr valve clogs up-simple to clean with parts cleaner and a new gasket, or replace it. Autopartwarehouse. Com, Carbon builds up on it and it sticks and your idle is in the crapper-and it only takes a really small amount of carbon buildup to start the problem. Help yourself by using 89 oct gas verses regular to reduce the carbon buildup. You also need to learn about the fuel injector spider line assy-they are prone to leak and code out as a random misfire on number 3 cyl. Your year has a seperate spider and fuel pressure regulator-and plastic fuel line, they are not hard to change out and a dealer will want $1000.0 to change-you can do this with a friend in about an hour.