2005 Chevy Blazer 4X4 problem

DUMP_GUY
  • 2005 CHEVROLET BLAZER
Don't think it's transmission but didn't know where else to submit problem. It used to bang occasionally going into 4 wheel drive. Had mechanics look at it a half dozen times, said they couldn't find problem. Now no warranty & it won't switch into 4x4. If I stop, put vehicle in neutral & hit 4hi, both 4hi & 4lo flash then light returns to 2hi. I was told possibly actuator or sensor are probably shot. Is there a reset of anykind anywhere? Or is this a mechanical fix & plenty of $$$?
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 3:02 PM

JAMES W.
Sounds like the actuator isn't completely pulling the transfer case all the out of 4wheel drive and under load, It's popping out. Hence, the bang. This would also explain both hi and lo lights on at the same time. I don't know how long this has been going on, but it may have roughed up the gears enough where they don't want to mesh like they should. Hope this helps.
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 3:50 PM
DUMP_GUY
It sounds like I may not have explained it clear enough. It doesn't pop out of 4 wheel drive. It used to make a small noise going in to 4 wheel & on occasion wouldn't shift in. Now, it won't shift in at all. If I try in gear, nothing happens. If I try in neutral, 4lo & hi flash together but truck stays in 2 wheel. Does this explain better?
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 4:12 PM
JAMES W.
Thanks for the clarification, but it still points to the same thing. Either the actuator isn't moving far enough to engage 4WD, or the gears/clutches won't allow it to engage.
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 5:33 PM
DUMP_GUY
Thanks for your reply. I assume this is going to be a costly one. Off to the service center. For the record. The ABSOLUTE worst vehicle Chev ever made. Thanks again.
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 6:48 PM
JAMES W.
Now, now me love, lets not be bitta'. All in all, we do get more transfer case postings on Chevys than Fords, but Ford has more ignition and computer problems. Ohhh, for the days when 4whl drive was just a big lever on the floor, and you set the points with a matchbook cover. Long gone, I'm afraid.
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008 AT 7:52 PM
DUMP_GUY
I got it to go into 4lo this afternoon. I tried to get it to shift up to 4hi but no luck. It went back to 2. Argghhhhhhh!

Any thoughts?
Thursday, December 11th, 2008 AT 7:10 PM
SWILLIAMS
Sounds like you have either a bad encoder motor on the transfer case, or the transfer case control module has a problem. I have had a few of them that suddenly acted normal again after cutting off the power from the battery by disconnecting it.
The encoder motor isn't that difficult to change, neither is the TCCM. I have also seen this problem caused by a defective dash switch. But that is usually on the 01-02 trailblazers.

As far as being the worst GM vehicle, it can't be very bad considering they were built from 1982-2005 with very little actual mechanical changes.
Thursday, December 11th, 2008 AT 9:38 PM