Brake bleeding

WYZZER
  • 2003 CHEVROLET BLAZER

6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 41000 miles

I purchased this blazer with the brake peddle going down too far to the floor. I replaced front and rear pads and turned all 4 rotors. I also replaced the master cylinder. The problem still exists. Should I bleed the master cylinder after I bleed the brakes and if so how. My friend thinks the booster may be bad. I doubt it. What do you think? Is there a bleeder line somewhere in the middle of my vehicle?

Monday, May 26th, 2008 AT 8:25 PM

BLACKOP555

Sounds like your best bet is bench bleed the master cylinder.

Here is a guide to help you get the job done.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-brake-master-cylinder

clean out all the old gunky fluid and mount the master cylinder in a vice by the mounting flange, with it full with fluid, attach a brake line to the rear and one to the front brake port on it. then place the lines in a brake fluid container, push on the push rod and keep repeating this process until no more bubbles appear. make sure the fluid stays above 1/2 in the master cylinder at all times.

next is putting the master cylinder back on the vehicle and reattaching the lines, after that is done open all brake bleeder valves and wait for fluid to come out, then close them, once again make sure fluid stays above 1/2 the master cylinder level at all times.

then close have a friend sit in the vehicle and slowly and firmly pump the brakes a few times then when the pedal is hard, have him press and hold on the pedal firmly but not too hard while you open the left rear bleeder, close the bleeder then have your friend remove his foot from the brake, repeat this process until no more air bubbles appear.

Here is guide to bleed the system

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-bleed-or-flush-a-car-brake-system

then move to the rear right, front left and then front right brakes, and you should then top off the cylinder again and you should be good to go.

Also check the push rod from the booster to make sure there is little play in it.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers

Monday, May 26th, 2008 AT 9:16 PM
SAMD222
  • 1999 CHEVROLET BLAZER

Brakes problem
1999 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

I replaced both rear caliper and brakes. I replaced them on different days. After each replacement I bled the caliper only on the side I replaced. I tried to drive and the brake dash light is on and the brake pedal goes all the way down to the floor. What should I do?

Friday, September 15th, 2017 AT 5:04 PM (Merged)
PEAR69

How did you bleed the brakes?

+1
SAMD222

By pumping the brakes then holding the pedal down. Then opening the bleeder valve when it was held down.

PEAR69

You probably trapped some air in the lines when you were bleeding the brakes. If you pumped the brake pedal rapidly, air bubbles probably formed in the brake fluid - thus causing the pedal to go to the floor. If you didnt change the fluid (at least in the master cylinder) - you probably should. The best way to get air out of the brake system is to use a vacuum brake bleeder.
Also, you could have damaged the seals inside of the master cylinder when you were pumping up the brakes -- check for leaks around the master cylinder and make sure the brake line at the caliper is not leaking.

SAMD222

I have pressure in the brakes again but when I tried to drive it the passenger rear side started smoking and I couldnt get up to speed. I had just replaced this caliper. Could something be wrong with the master cylinder that would freeze the pistons. This is the third caliper that has frozen up. Twice on passenger rear and once on driver rear. There was nothing left of the brake pads which made me think that they both could have frozen because of that, but it did it again after the new pads.

-1
FLA.RIDAH
  • 2000 CHEVROLET BLAZER

Brakes problem
2000 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

what is the best way to bleed the brakes after replacing the old brake pads?

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Bleeding procedure is below.

Raise the vehicle in order to access the system bleed screws.
Bleed the system at the right rear wheel first.
Install a clear hose on the bleed screw.
Immerse the opposite end of the hose into a container partially filled with clean DOT 3 brake fluid.
Open the bleed screw 1 / 2 to 1 full turn.
Slowly depress the brake pedal. While the pedal is depressed to its full extent, tighten the bleed screw.
Release the brake pedal and wait 10-15 seconds for the master cylinder pistons to return to the home position.
Repeat the previous steps for the remaining wheels. The brake fluid which is present at each bleed screw should be clean and free of air.
This procedure may use more than a pint of fluid per wheel. Check the master cylinder fluid level every four to six strokes of the brake pedal in order to avoid running the system dry.
Press the brake pedal firmly and run the Scan Tool Automated Bleed Procedure. Release the brake pedal between each test.
Bleed all four wheels again using Steps 3-9. This will remove the remaining air from the brake system.
Evaluate the feel of the brake pedal before attempting to drive the vehicle.
Bleed the system as many times as necessary in order to obtain the appropriate feel of the pedal.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

+4
HARRIO
  • 1993 CHEVROLET BLAZER

Rear brake pressure will not bleed. How do I remove build up pressure on my SUV? I replace calipers and master cylinder brake booster and lines.

Rent a power bleeder although you may end up taking this to a mechanic to have his scanner hooked to it to open ABS valves. Kind of sounds like you did not bleed system right

HARRIO

Thanks I will try

2CARPROS KEN

Hey HARRIO,

Did you bench bleed the master? if not remove the master and bench bleed it. Here is a guide on how to do that.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

ROBYD
  • 1996 CHEVROLET BLAZER

Brakes problem
1996 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 1996 chevy blazer I replaced the front brake pads and rotors and the front passenger side caliper we bled the brakes but keep getting 90 percent air on the front passenger side the pedal is hard when not running but when started goes strait to the floor, so replaced the caliper again and the rubber line from the caliper to the aluminum brake line, again all air no brakes abs light is not on at all and we had brakes before we started and they worked, PLEASE HELP AS WE ARE IN GREAT NEED OF A FIX FOR THIS AIR AND HOW TO FIX, THANKS

BMRFIXIT

Make sure Caliper bleeder is on top
if not you have the wrong side caliper
fill brake master cylinder with fluid leave cover out for know
open bleeder screw and wait until fluid drip out from it then close
top of the fluid place cover back on
pump brake 5 to 10 times and hold down
ask helper to open bleeder
bleed the left and right calipers
repeat as needed

JAMES L.
  • 1998 CHEVROLET BLAZER

I have a 98 S-10 Blazer and the back breaks will not work. I have tryed to bleed them but there is no break fluid coming out. Could the line be cloged?

WRENCHTECH

It's more likely a bleeder clogged or a bad master cylinder.